Iiipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassfeeder

Reaction score
So, trying to formulate a recipe for a IIIPA. Here what I've got so far. spec wise it's right where I want it, not sure about grain bill and %'s used.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.75 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.077
Efficiency: 63% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.109
Final Gravity: 1.020
ABV (standard): 11.69%
IBU (tinseth): 78.38
SRM (morey): 7.49

FERMENTABLES:
19 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (78.4%)
2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 10L (8.2%)
1.75 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (7.2%)
1.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (6.2%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 40.95
1.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 25.17
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 12.26
6 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
4 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
6 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
4 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 148 F, Time: 75 min
2) Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Time: 20 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - San Diego Super Yeast WLP090
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 79.5%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 68 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F

You definitely do not want ANY crystal malt in somethign with that high an OG that is supposed to be an IPA. That is a triple hopped barleywine as it stands now.

With any double (or triple in this case) IPA, the main goal IME is to get the finish as crisp as possible. Far too many commercial adn homebrew examples are some gross combo of sweet and too bitter and you arent left wanting to take another sip anytime soon.

Id cut the crystal out (or to 8oz at the VERY MAX), and maybe replace the carapils with wheat malt or something. That much carapils is really not necessary

I second removing all of the Crystal 10L malt and reducing the CaraPils to ~1-3% of the grain bill. You want that thing to be bone dry if you want hop character to shine (if it even can in a beer that big). Also, the high amount of malt/alcohol in the beer will provide the body you need.

Secondly, even though you favor Citra in your recipe, be prepared for the Mosaic to really come to forefront because of its sheer power to overwhelm other hop varieties (even those like Citra).

I agree with Moops. I would even bump the sugar up to 10%. Go everything you can to dry it out.

If you get it under 1.020 i wanna try it!

Now that i think about it, and correct me if i am wrong. The amount of time that this is going to have to condition, all those whirlpool hops are going to fade. I would move almost all your late kettle hops to a massive (two part) dry hop after the beer has has time to condition.

Thank you everyone. I've brewed a bunch of successful and well recieved regular IPA's, Pales & NE style IPA's but never gone for something this high in content.

Let us know how it turns out and your final recipe. :mug:

Let us know how it turns out and your final recipe. :mug:

revised to this for now....

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.75 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.081
Efficiency: 63% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.114
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 12.3%
IBU (tinseth): 69.78
SRM (morey): 6

FERMENTABLES:
21 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (85.7%)
2.5 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (10.2%)
1 lb - American - White Wheat (4.1%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 69.78
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
7 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
7 oz - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 148 F, Time: 75 min
2) Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Time: 20 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - San Diego Super Yeast WLP090
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 79.5%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 68 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F

That looks like a pretty solid grain bill. I like your heavy handedness on the dry hops as well. Let us know how it turns out in a few weeks. I love san diego super for this those little yeasties are so fast. Be prepared for some extreme Krausen.

looks nice! except go with something like columbus or apollo to bitter. thats a waste of Mosaic! add them in the WP, dry hop or a 5 min addition

true....only using the mosaic cause I have some left over to burn. I normally bitter with Columbus exclusively

OP, I think you may be able to gleam some ideas off this recipe I did
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=567274

I've made a lot of IPAs, and this is consistently the best one. 9%abv yet drinks like its 5%. Huge hop nose and flavor, but finishes like a pale ale. Very low OG, but nice creamy body. I'd say, the farther under 1.020 you can get it, the better.

For me, its not really the high OG, but the sheer amount of hops that make it require some conditioning time. Dont get me wrong, its great at 2wks + 1wk in keg, but the hop character is so immense, its abrasive. Give it another 1-2 weeks and its floccinng beautiful

OP, I think you may be able to gleam some ideas off this recipe I did
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=567274

I've made a lot of IPAs, and this is consistently the best one. 9%abv yet drinks like its 5%. Huge hop nose and flavor, but finishes like a pale ale. Very low OG, but nice creamy body. I'd say, the farther under 1.020 you can get it, the better.

For me, its not really the high OG, but the sheer amount of hops that make it require some conditioning time. Dont get me wrong, its great at 2wks + 1wk in keg, but the hop character is so immense, its abrasive. Give it another 1-2 weeks and its floccinng beautiful

so in terms of "conditioning" what are you really talking about? Time in fermentor? I don't transfer to secondary so I'd dry hop and at end transfer to purged keg. Should I let it sit in the keg before carving for a couple of weeks? Is that the idea?

Reason I want to go this big is that we've got a couple of monster IIIPA's out here that however between 11-13% that drink like they're juice. Wanted to give that a shot.

With conditioning, people are talking abotu that usually with any high OG beer (think imperial stout, barleywine, belgian strong dark ale, etc) the beer will taste very "hot" when it is young. This can usually take several months to smooth out but it is almost always better after it ages.

Thing is, with IPAs, aging mean youll loose fresh hop character. So you want to get it nice and drinkable as fast as you can, but not have it abrasive in teh finish. Letting it sit for a few weeks in a purged keg would be ideal. I usually carb it while it sits at room temp, well at least carb it most of the way. I let mine sit at 35psi and room temp while I wait for a tap to open up.

Adding hops to the keg is also a major advantage

Noob question time. I'm assuming the OP had crystal in the mix because he wanted something from it, colour or flavour. The crystal had to go though because this brew needs to be as dry as possible. Would some Vienna or Munich be out of place here?

yes, my intention was crystal for color but in hindsight i can absolutely see how i needed this grain bill to be as clean as possible. sometimes too much is too much.

Back