Igloo Mash Tun Thermometer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBrew

Reaction score
Ok, so this probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but I don't know where else to ask it. I want to drill a hole in my 60qt Igloo MT for a 6" thermometer but I don't want to have any leaks (derp!). So I was wondering if there was a technique that people use to prevent this... like a food grade sealant or something? Help! Thanks!

Do this... It wont cost you as much, and will seal perfectly the first time. Bulkheads can be sorta finiky... and expensive. I use it on my MLT... as long as you mix well, it is fine. Otherwise you are keeping your lid open (heat escaping) and taking multiple readings. Mix every 10-15 mins, close the lid, watch the temp... relax.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/10-thru-wall-therms-pics-too-24946/

DSCN0888.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

The Pol, did you use a hole saw to cut the opening for the thermometer? If so what size did you use, and is that a rubber bung used to stop it up?

I just punched through the wall with a screw driver just smaller then the diameter of my Brewmometer's probe. I then adjusted the size of the opening and it now seals itself.

See my overly simplified tutorial here.

Do this... It wont cost you as much, and will seal perfectly the first time. Bulkheads can be sorta finiky... and expensive. I use it on my MLT... as long as you mix well, it is fine. Otherwise you are keeping your lid open (heat escaping) and taking multiple readings. Mix every 10-15 mins, close the lid, watch the temp... relax.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/10-thru-wall-therms-pics-too-24946/

DSCN0888.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

Is there any kind of seal around the thermometer probe, or do you just stick it in the drilled stopper?

I was sick of inaccurate digital thermometers, so I bought a type-K thermocouple and indicator. Drilled a small hole in the lid of my MLT and dropped the thermocouple down into the mash.

There's plenty on eBay, as a matter of fact.

Okay yall, need to read the directions.

It is a SOLID 5.5 stopper, drilled with a tiny drill bit just to puch a hole in it. The thermometer slides in easy with some keg lube. No silicone... I refuse to use silicone to seal anything.

Just a stopper, thermo... that is all.

Back