Igloo 7.1 cu ft FRF795 Black Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks amazing!

I did a leak check, and the relief valve of my regulator is leaking. Going to exchange it today for a new one. Hopefully, that is all that is leaking.

Good for you guys!! Yall are soooo close to pulling on that tap handle and BAM beer! :)

I still have at least a week of building left... Then comes assembly... :(

I opted to keep the gas on the outside so I could keep 5 kegs. I may build a box to cover it in the future. I am also on the fence as to whether I need to add insulation. 2+ inches of wood is a pretty good insulator.

023.jpg

035.jpg

041.jpg

I opted to keep the gas on the outside so I could keep 5 kegs. I may build a box to cover it in the future. I am also on the fence as to whether I need to add insulation. 2+ inches of wood is a pretty good insulator.

an inch of wood is roughly R-1...an inch of EPS foam is roughly R-3.5 an inch of XPS is roughly R-5.

A rather larger difference. Just a half inch of XPS foamboard with a little spray foam to seal the seams could up the insulation quite a bit....

I actually just got one of these but in white - plan on painting it black and creating a 2x8 pine collar with a 1x10 oak "skirt". 4 taps, centered.

How are you guys sealing the collar to the bottom part of the freezer? Nothing? I do plan on insulating it and mounting a 140mm fan to stabilize the temperature throughout the freezer. Any other concerns I should be worried about?

It's a shame it won't fit 4 kegs on the floor - there's a similar model that's 7.2 cu ft, but I couldn't find it anywhere locally (it supposedly fits 4 kegs without a collar).

Anyone have a lead on where to get a black chest freezer? I can't seem to find either the Igloo FRF795 (OP's freezer), or the Igloo FRF705 (mentioned later in the thread) anywhere, even online. It's like it was a magical freezer produced exclusively for Walmart's Black Friday 2014 sale...

Great thread! I recently finished a coffin style keezer build using this igloo 7.1 CUFT freezer. This thread gave me some ideas on the process.

Very nice!

Mine is a little more on the plain side. But it still pours good beer!!

:mug:

Rt Frt Full closed.jpg

Rt Frt Closed.jpg

Rt Frt Open.jpg

I just finished mine last night, minus the temp controller. I plugged it in to test it, and even on the warmest setting the thing got down to less than 25 degrees and started to ice up in about 20 minutes. For the seal I used the spongey weather stripping and placed an outer "apron" collar to the main collar. I used 2x8's for the inner and 1x10 for the outer. It also gave me a place to attach a drip tray. Take a look at the pics. Good luck

John

how far apart are the taps center to center 4 inches?

So jealous you all found black chest freezers, I'm stuck with a white one.

Jomamma - what size wood did you use for the collar build?

So jealous you all found black chest freezers, I'm stuck with a white one.

Jomamma - what size wood did you use for the collar build?

It is an 8 inch collar. I thought I was going to have to paint a white freeze but at the last moment found this one at Walmart.

I am in the middle of building my keezer out of a magic chef 5 cubic ft freezer. The only thing left are the taps lines &co2. It currently is used as a beer cooler for various bottles of beer. My keezer is currently set to 37 degrees and maintains the temp for 5 minutes which means the compressor is off and on every 5 minutes. For this reason I'm contemplating installing a CPU fan to reduce the amount of time the compressor has to run.

I am in the middle of building my keezer out of a magic chef 5 cubic ft freezer. The only thing left are the taps lines &co2. It currently is used as a beer cooler for various bottles of beer. My keezer is currently set to 37 degrees and maintains the temp for 5 minutes which means the compressor is off and on every 5 minutes. For this reason I'm contemplating installing a CPU fan to reduce the amount of time the compressor has to run.

A fan will help provide a more evenly distributed temperature so you don't have temperature layering inside the freezer. It will also help prevent mold. But it's not going to drastically change how much your freezer runs.

Are you using an STC-1000 as your temp controller? What is the F2 setting set on? That controls how much it will allow the temperature to fluctuate before it calls for cooling. I have mine set on .5 deg C, but since you're in Fahrenheit, I would set it at 1 deg F to lengthen the time the compressor is not running.

How do you have your temp probe placed in the freezer? Is it open air or in a liquid? I have mine in a half gallon plastic milk jug full of water. It reduces the reaction time to slight temperature fluctuations inside the freezer.

If I had to guess, my freezer runs once every 1-1/2 to 2 hrs.

I hope that helps.

A fan will help provide a more evenly distributed temperature so you don't have temperature layering inside the freezer. It will also help prevent mold. But it's not going to drastically change how much your freezer runs.

Are you using an STC-1000 as your temp controller? What is the F2 setting set on? That controls how much it will allow the temperature to fluctuate before it calls for cooling. I have mine set on .5 deg C, but since you're in Fahrenheit, I would set it at 1 deg F to lengthen the time the compressor is not running.

How do you have your temp probe placed in the freezer? Is it open air or in a liquid? I have mine in a half gallon plastic milk jug full of water. It reduces the reaction time to slight temperature fluctuations inside the freezer.

If I had to guess, my freezer runs once every 1-1/2 to 2 hrs.

I hope that helps.

Ok, since posting, I have been paying attention to how often my keezer is running. I was a little overly optimistic with my previous estimate. It actuall runs about every 1-1/4 hrs.

If using this freezer on the lowest temp setting on the stock temp controller, will it be too cold to serve beer?

I'm using an STC controller the F2 setting is .5 so it's set up right. My probe taped to the inside wall near the collar. I've since placed it in a glass of water and will document the compressor run time interval.

any luck with the black freezer anywhere guys? i cant find anywhere!

if i got the white one, could i just paint it black? what kind of paint?

and does anyone have the cut dimensions for the collar wood for this freezer?

thanks!

I can't remember the exact measurements but I do know I measured to the inside lip on the freezer. My cuts came out great but I had slight gaps like a 16th of an inch no matter how I set em. Once the glue dried I mixed sawdust and wood glue to fill the gaps and it looks perfect

I did miter cuts and measured the inside lip of the edge of freezer I want to say like 28.5 inches by 33ish??? 8 inch collar and I had to put a foam tape on the top so the lid would sit flush...

You'd be better off measuring your own freezer. Depending on the method you choose to build the collar (i.e., mitered corners, butt joints, with or without the trim board that overlaps the freezer) will depend on your cut length.

an inch of wood is roughly R-1...an inch of EPS foam is roughly R-3.5 an inch of XPS is roughly R-5.

A rather larger difference. Just a half inch of XPS foamboard with a little spray foam to seal the seams could up the insulation quite a bit....

where do i buy this xps foam board?

Back