If your stove can't get 6 gal to boil, I've got a solution.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking Fahrenheit or Celsius? None of the temperatures you mentioned are anywhere close to a boil in Fahrenheit (the boiling point at 1k feet altitude is around 206 degrees F), but 113-114 is way too high for a boil in Celsius. If you only got it to 113-114F, it would definitely not be boiling.

Either there's something I'm missing, or you're either measuring wrong or not even getting close to a boil.

With all that aside, I would NOT recommend wrapping a flammable towel around your boil kettle, it's just asking for trouble. If you need to insulate it, go buy some of that metallic bubble-wrap type insulation that can actually withstand the heat, and won't catch fire. It's used all the time by people insulating keggles/mash tuns/etc.

homebrewer_99 said:
Totally UNSAFE procedure. :mad:

Agreed. While the idea itself (of insulating the pot) is a good one, and is potentially very helpful to those trying to get by with a kitchen stove, the method presented here is utterly unsafe and should be avoided.

Stick to non-flammable insulation for applications near sources of high heat!

Irishman said:
With that I'll be showing myself the door, wish you all the best in your brewing ventures. :mug:

You mean your leaving the board? or this thread?!?

To me, its all about covering the bases. Someday someone, say a minor who isn't even supposed to be on this board, will see this post, give it a go, and disaster will strike...

I would worry about the heat of the flames coming up the side of the pot and setting the towel on fire...much like when fire crosses the road and set the trees ablaze even though the flames are 75 ft away...

I'm only concerned that you'll end up burning your place down...

You don't have to leave, Irishman, I think there is some merit to your idea. Others are discounting it, perhaps rightly so, because of the safety aspect. However, if someone were to wrap the pot in a non combustible material I think this might be a reasonable suggestion. I'm sure there must be materials that don't contain asbestos or MMMF that would do the trick.

Brush this one off, or better still, defend the position.

homebrewer_99 said:
I would worry about the heat of the flames coming up the side of the pot and setting the towel on fire...much like when fire crosses the road and set the trees ablaze even though the flames are 75 ft away...

Uhm, flames on an electric stove?

:drunk:

I'd be worried too if my electric stove gave off flames!

:D

Fingers said:
You don't have to leave, Irishman, I think there is some merit to your idea. Others are discounting it, perhaps rightly so, because of the safety aspect. However, if someone were to wrap the pot in a non combustible material I think this might be a reasonable suggestion. I'm sure there must be materials that don't contain asbestos or MMMF that would do the trick.

Brush this one off, or better still, defend the position.

Wouldn't partially covering the pot with the corresponding lid be easier/safer to achieve full boil?

:drunk:

(I used to use this method)

:mug:

Fingers said:
You need the pot uncovered to get rid of DME.

That's why you partially cover it. I used this method for about six months before I got my turkey fryer and was doing full, 6.5 gallon boils on the stove.

My hop utilization was a little low, but I still made good beer!

:cross:

Fingers said:
You need the pot uncovered to get rid of DME.

I think/hope you meant DMS! ;)

I mean, unless you used Dry Malt Extract and are concentrating the wort. Otherwise, we're looking to get rid of Dimethyl Sulfide.

Back to picking nits,

Bob

I greatly appreciate this thread. I hadn't yet thought about insulating my brewpot and didn't think about the fire resistant insulation :)

BobNQ3X said:
I think/hope you meant DMS! ;)

Heh, yeah, I meant DMS.

Also, I don't think leaving the lid partially on would be a viable solution. You'd still have DMS returning to the pot in some quantity. I'd sooner design for an uncovered boil.

homebrewer_99 said:
Some idiot may not have read electric...and assumed it was safe for all stoves...;)

Yep, there are always idiots that don't read all the words.

Glad you pointed this out!

:p

Dycokac said:
I greatly appreciate this thread. I hadn't yet thought about insulating my brewpot and didn't think about the fire resistant insulation :)
Good, I love happy endings. :cross:

Insulating the pot IS a good idea, it's just the specific method suggested that is bad. Haphazardly (with two belts!) attaching a dry, flammable towel to a pot sitting on any stove is unsafe, even the OP acknowledged that. In his own words...

"Mind you it's not the safest thing to do, fire is a real threat here."

Yep, I am actually going to go to lowes tonight and look into this non flammable insulation. I would love to start doing full boils!

homebrewer_99 said:

He stated that he did this on an electric stove.

Edit - some idiot should read the entire thread before jumping in. :D

Back