If you suspect infection...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
After 50+ batches with no problems I have had three bad batches back to back to back. They all had that awful sour taste, and two just never cleared up. Two I have arleady dumped. The third, an Alt I am holding out some hope on....

I believe I have traced the problem back to over extended yeast...I wash yeast, and frankly I think I got a little loose on my attention to the process. I think I was working with 4 generation yeast, and I think it possibly could have been weak and/or infected. Unfortunately I didn't figure it out until 3 batches into it :( . I also think my fermentation temps got a little higher than they should have. Ambient temps climbed into the low 70's which, from what I have read means my beer was actively fermenting in the mid to high 70's on yeast that is suggested to be 68F.

Anyway, I ditched all the yeast in my fridge (I got careless and was not dating and noting generation as I normally do) and got some new yeast and started two batches last week. I have them in a cooler with water and ice jugs and I have successfully kept the temp in the low 60's.

At what point do you search deeper for a cause of infection and off flavors, and what do you do about it? Would you ditch all your racking tubes? Would you ditch any plastic fementors? Would you replace all the gaskets in your kegs?????

Just looking for some thoughts.....

Alan

I have a rule-- replace tubing every 10 batches unconditionally.

If my beer tastes off I prowl the forums + other online resources to see if someone's had a prior experience. 9/10 times someone has had the EXACT same experience and there's a wealth of info you can gain from their transient misery.

Take careful notes of your process-- always. It will help you discern errors later!

If you think it's an infection, from your yeast storage for example, I would consider bleach bombing all your equipment that your bad batches touched.

I did this once, not fun but better safe than sorry.

Wow!! Replace tubing every 10 batches?? :eek: The silicone tubing I'm using isn't cheap enough for that, I run hot PBW throughout the entire system after brewing and rinse in Starsan. Every fitting, and hose gets treated as well as the pump. I rarely use the racking cane but when I did, it sat in Starsan or Sani-Clean throughout the brew day.

I've had one infection and it was Acetobaker caused by a leaking Corney Keg gas relief valve.

Wow!! Replace tubing every 10 batches?? :eek: The silicone tubing I'm using isn't cheap enough for that, I run hot PBW throughout the entire system after brewing and rinse in Starsan. Every fitting, and hose gets treated as well as the pump. I rarely use the racking cane but when I did, it sat in Starsan or Sani-Clean throughout the brew day.

I've had one infection and it was Acetobaker caused by a leaking Corney Keg gas relief valve.

I use PET tubing for pretty much everything. Although for the higher-temp stages, I uses PET with braided PVC. It can handle the temps just fine. Can't find silicone tubing at the hardware store with the desired wall thickness. They kink really easy in the heat.

Thanks for the replies.

I did a heavier than normal bleach soak on my fermentors and hose. I use a small system, and really only use one racking tube which I will replace for $6 at Home Depot. I am considering ditching my buckets. My brewing buddy keeps telling me to ditch the plastic altogether and ferment in kornies or glass only. That's another issue though ;) .

It's just been a real blow to my confidence, and I need to get back on track to making good beer. I'm a little gun shy at the moment, like I can't make a decent batch of beer to save my life.

Alan

It's likely that it came from washed yeast but it also could have traveled into the fermenter with a batch of wort and just took hold and stuck around in the equipment. It's hard to say but if it's only happened once in 50 batches you're doing well.

You could have acid washed the yeast but it's a little late for that. I would definitely just make sure all that bleach is well washed and give it a good sanitizer rinse before you use it next.

I guess I have about 20-25 batches in each bucket at this point. For $15 each I think next time I am at my HBS I will just replace them to be safe.

I keep coming back to my yeast though. I think I just got careless since I never had a problem. As I said I am pretty sure the yest in at least two of the bad batches was 4th generation. I think I got careless and had a lot more trub in my jars than normal.

The real tragedy in it all is that I discovered last night that my Marzen that I brewed in April for a big Oktoberfest in October is sour :( . Oh the horror. And I am not sure I have time to brew a replacement. :( .

Back