If you had to pick only 1 northern brewer kit to ever brew again what would it be???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbird1977

Reaction score
I'm picking up the Milk Chocolate Stout (1st stout) and the smashing pumkin ale....I need a third so please give me a suggestion.

I was thinking the Chinock IPA, Raspberry wheat, or a nice amber but which to choose. Looking to buy tonight so please reply ASAP.

Brew to ALL.

:::
I'm gonna turn this city into the craft brew capitol of the US by 2020.... =P

I think their sweet stout is delicious but you already have the chocolate stout on there.

On my todo list from NB: Surly Bender (I have this kit in my basement ready to brew!), Surly Furious, T-can & Bearcat's Wheaten beatdown, caribou slobber, and the imperial mild. THose all look like good kits.

I've made the chocolate milk stout and it is good. I made and currently have kegged, the Town Hall Hope and King Scotch Ale. It is wonderful.

Ive never had Surly been dying to try them, but they have kits with their exact recipe. It may be the closest thing for me to ever try them.

There are two I'd not be able to give up.

One, the Surly Furious clone. It's great.

The second is Waldo Lake Amber, Denny Conn's recipe I believe. Awesome beer as well.

I just ordered the "dead ringer" (2 hearted ale clone). Never had it or the real thing, but I have heard nothing but good things about it.

I just ordered the "dead ringer" (2 hearted ale clone). Never had it or the real thing, but I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Good choice, i was trying to think of the current name, it use to be 3 hearted ale i think.

My first 7 or 8 brews were Northern Brewer kits and of those, the Surly Furious was my favorite but the Extra Pale Ale was a great beer too if you don't like the wild hoppiness.

Tom

I really enjoyed their Double IPA. I didn't brew it but a friend did and it was one of my favorite IPAs I've tried so far. I just got some of the ingredients for it so I can brew it.

beerloaf

I've made 5 of their kits, and I will probably have a modified Nut Brown Ale on tap all year. I was a fan of Newcastle, but this just blows it out of the water in terms of flavor for a beer that's still light and somewhat dry.

I brewed up the dead ringer a few weeks back and waiting to dry hop then keg. I'm thinking the waldo or trying a Surly Furious.

but now I'm looking at the caribou slobber....dang so many brew kits to choose from! Good problem to have!

I did the Caribou Slobber for my first kit and I was floored at how good it turned out. I made the decision by looking at their kits, seeing which ones were highest rated, and then out of those picked the one with the MOST reviews. If it got that many reviews and is still holding a 5 star rating I figure it had to be damn good. (And it was)

I brewed a modified version of their Extra Pale Ale. It's really simple, ferments fast, and is a very refreshing beer. I just brewed their Caribou Slobber AG a couple of days ago. I hear good things about it.

Everyone loved our Houblonmonstre. Just ordered the kit to make a second batch

I've only gotten two kits from them so far: one is their Mild Ale which is still bottle conditioning, and the other is their Speckled Heifer which I haven't brewed yet. I know, some help I am! :drunk: I mention them because I chose these kits based on my brother's taste for beer, which is smoother, milder ales with little to no hop character. You didn't mention what your beer preference is, but if it's similar to my brother's these seem to be good picks. :mug:

I have the spec hef kit in my #2 primary right now. The dead ringer in my 1st. Should be kegging the spec hef this week. But before I do does anyone have any experience ...results with taking it to secondary. Suggestions???

I have 10 g of their "Karls scottish 90" or something, that just finished primary and its awesome. Gonna do 5 gallons on scotch soaked oak. Ive also done their cream ale and a definite winner.

I just ordered dawsons multigrain red (all grain) ... its my first order from them ... the reviews on the site were off the wall all great ... i like the reviews section on NB ... brewmasters WH needs to have that kind of reviews available IMO

Update, the spec heffer (spotted cow clone) is great. kegged a little over a week ago and its pretty good. Took a few growlers to family outing and it was a hit and at the local bar too. Not bad at all, I'd say its pretty close to the spotted cow but just not 100%. I live 20 mins from New Glarus and have drank plenty of spotted cow and its not the same, but its still damn good. The women like it so its all good. :)

The Dead Ringer kit is moved to 2ndary and was just dry hopped a few days ago; smells great. Gonna try to keg that this weekend. So I still haven't order, saving up some more money but this is what I'm think are my final four kits to pick from. Please vote for your fav two and I'll tally them up in a few days and order them up.

1. Caribou Slobber
2. Chocolate Milk Stout
3. Smashing Pumkin Ale
4. Chinook IPA

Also, I need a lighter beer in there too somewhere so any advice on a "light" kit would be appreciated.

Trying to keep a variety on tap so that I can please the masses! =P

Thanks and I'll keep the updates coming.

I have done the Irish Red Ale, Patersbier, Extra Pale Ale and Nut Brown Ale. None are ready yet so I cannot help on your choice. I also have dozens of kits left to try before doing any for a second time.

Caribou Slobber for me, although my brother in-law made the Surly Bender and it was great, only like his fifth brew, yes I converted him to brewing.:rockin:

I've done a lot of NB kits - Octoberfest, SH2B, Caribou Slobber, Waldo Lake Amber, Honey Wheat (converted to Tangelo Honey Wheat), Innkeeper (in process), Black IPA (in process)

Waldo Lake Amber was the best brew I've ever made, no question. I think the key was Denny's Favorite 50 yeast.

Latest posts

Back