Idylis chest freezers from Lowe's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildernessBrewing

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I've been bottling for a while, and I'm getting ready to start kegging before the end of the year. I've been looking at chest freezers for a keezer build. Craigslist listings in my area for used freezers have been pretty sparse over the last couple of months, and honestly pretty close in price to a new freezer of similar size. Right now, I only have two pin lock kegs, but I know at some point in the future I'll want to expand.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the Idylis chest freezers from Lowe's? It's my understand that they are made by Haier.

I'm considering the Idylis 5.0 cu. ft. freezer, which will tightly fit two pin lock kegs, a co2 tank+regulator, and a few bottles without a collar (according to the cardboard cutouts I brought into Lowe's).

I'm also looking at the Idylis 7.1 cu. ft. freezer for $40 more. They didn't have a floor model for me to check, but it seems like it may hold 3 pin locks + co2 and bottles comfortably without a collar, possibly 4?

Anyone have first hand experience with either of these? I'm thinking I should I just pay the extra $40 now with the anticipation that I'll at least want 3 kegs on tap in the future?

For me, I wouldn't worry about the name. I would get the largest chest freezer your budget and space will allow. Because once you start using it, you'll be wanting to upgrade and get something bigger.

If it's only $40 more I'd go for the bigger one. I actually own the 5.0 cu ft one that you're talking about. It serves as my fermentation chamber and so far I haven't had any problems with it.

Last edited:
i don't have that brand, but i do have that size. it holds 2 fermenters, or 4 kegs, or 3 kegs and a 20 lb co2 tank, or 2 kegs and a fermenter, etc... i recently swapped with the 1 we used for food (same size), since the 1 i had had a light, and the food 1 didn't. since the motor hump is only 1/2 instead of all the way across, this 1 holds another keg. i wouldn't have smaller

I have a 5CFT Igloo brand that I use for my fermentation chamber. Bought it at Best Buy for $139 I think. Seems like it would hold more than two kegs and a CO2 tank. I'm actually thinking about getting another one to use for storing my two-three kegs. No intent to build a Keezer. Will use picnic taps for the short term.
I think the igloo brand may be a little cheaper- at least they were when I bought mine.

Go with the bigger one. I bought the smaller one and found the space very limited. I ended up buying a very large Whirlpool model for about $400, which is awesome. My small chest freezer serves as a ferm chamber now.

I got the 7.1 cu ft idylis and love it. Paid $200 for it. I can fit 2 - 8 gallon brew buckets in it (have to make a small platform over the compressor), or 4 ball lock kegs wedged very tight in the low area. If you wanted to screw around making a collar, you could fit 5 maybe 6 in there. I've had it almost a year.

I have the 5.0 cu.ft. I have not had any problems with it at all. Room for 2 ball locks and CO2. with room for some store brought beers. With the collar, I have room to put a 3rd keg and the gas.

Kezzer.jpg

Definitely go as big as you have room for. I bought my GE freezer at Lowe's a few years ago when they were having a great sale and I also had some type of coupon. I get 8 kegs in mine and have no complaints, though now that we've relocated and our house is 1000 sf smaller I would have been happy with a 6 tap. :)

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I went to Lowe's last night (brought two empty pin lock kegs with me!) with the intention of purchasing the 7.1, and they had a 5.0 open box unit for about $105. Stacking that with a %10 off coupon was hard to turn away. I placed both kegs in to test size, and I have room for both kegs and a co2 tank on the bottom level, and then store bought or home bottled beer on the compressor hump. I decided spending half the price was worth it in this situation, so I went for it. I'll probably be building a collar as soon as a I get a third keg, and I'll probably be selling the freezer and upgrading size within a year or so.

Awesome, BrooklynTom. I ended going with the 5.0 as well. How tall is your collar? Looks around 4-5"? What temp controller are you using with it?

Awesome, BrooklynTom. I ended going with the 5.0 as well. How tall is your collar? Looks around 4-5"? What temp controller are you using with it?

Thanks,
The collar is 2x6" cobbled together with drywall screws (I have to clean it up some). I wanted the height. It is now up on a base with 6" legs, I don't have to bend over to pull the taps.
Temp controller is a Johnson controller, the simple one with no display. I don't recall off hand the model #.

Kezzer1.jpg

Last edited:
Where do you plan to use this? Look at the reviews. Those trying to use it in a garage say it doesn't work. It needs a temperature above 55 degrees and below 90.

Get the bigger one if you can. You will start with one keg, go to 2, if three fit (like in my fridge), you will soon wish you had room for more. (unless you prefer only a couple beers to choose from) More kegs are in my future if I can ever afford it.

Yeah kh54s10 I noticed that on a few reviews. I'll be using it inside, so no worries there. Honestly, I was set on getting the larger unit until I got that crazy open box deal. I'm with you, though, I'll definitely be expanding whenever I can justify adding more kegs and spending the money. I just did all of my initial equipment investment in a 2 week period (kegs, regulator, fittings/hoses, co2 tank, freezer, temp controller) so I'm definitely gonna give it some time before I invest more money into the setup.

Can anyone confirm that you can fit three 5 Gal soda kegs and a 5# CO2 tank in the Idylis 5-cu ft from lowes?

Latest posts

Back