Idiot mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordstark

Reaction score
So, I just brewed an expensive batch of Little Sumpin Sumpin clone on Saturday. Super excited about this brew! All OG readings were on point and ready to go to primary.. Well, I aerated the wort, and pitched my yest and closed the lid. Popped my airlock on with water, set at fermentation temp and let it go. 24 hours later... No sign of airlock activity... 48 hours... Nothing. I'm concerned at this point but haven't given up hope.. 72 hours, as in now, I go in for a closer look and realize I forgot to put the top on the airlock. It was essentially just a pipe with water around it under the airlock lid.. I fixed my dumb oversight and reapplied the lock and viola - burps! But, what have I done? It's been exposed to the air for 72 hours through the airlock hole... Is it ruined or what steps can I take to prevent issues?!

I want to save the beer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Likely no harm. As the yeast grow, they respirate CO2 as well as making alcohol. The odds of an infection should be low.

It's not ruined. While not ideal your more than likely fine. There certainly is a possibility some nasty little bug climbed its way into your beer but its doubtful.

ps. im a fan of a lil sumpin sumpin

To be honest, you don't really need an airlock the first 3-4 days. There is so much fermentation going on, and so much co2 comming out, that it's not likely that any air got in. If it bubbled soon after fixing the airlock, is an even better sign. It's not even done with the main fermentation. Your beer is fine. No air got in. SBRHAHB

It's not ruined. While not ideal your more than likely fine. There certainly is a possibility some nasty little bug climbed its way into your beer but its doubtful.

ps. im a fan of a lil sumpin sumpin

The bacteria we need to worry about can't "crawl" around. Your beer would need direct contact with air, or another Un sanitized item (hand, spoon, thief, etc) and with the amount of co2 being pumped out that little hole, it's not likely to have come in contact with the beer

It will more than likely be alright.

First, the opening for anything to get in was small (maybe a cm or two). Second, if you pitched enough yeast, you'd have given it a very good chance of winning the battle over any wild yeast and/or bacteria. Third, once the fermentation got going, there would be a nice blanket of CO2 over your beer - not a lot can live in that. Lastly, if you live in an area where there the temps are still low and spring has yet to get going, there is less wild yeast floating around.

I hope that I'm right. Only time will tell. There isn't a heck of a lot you can do now anyway. Positive thinking! Good luck.

:mug:

Whew. That's a relief! Thanks for the comments. I'll keep my fingers crossed I guess. No way to really know for sure or not I presume until it continues to ferment, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back