Ideas for recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llgriffin

Reaction score
So I have a bunch of ingredients.. Trying to decide what to make. Here's what I have.

Wheat malt (lots)
Pilsner malt (lots)
Munich 10 (lots)
Crystal 75 .5lb
Carapils .5 lb
Roasted barley .5lb
Cascade 1oz
Citra 1oz
Glacier 1oz
Safale 05

Only put together a few recipes, since I only have ale yeast on hand not sure which way to go with these ingredients any ideas???

Except for the hops, you could do an Altbier with those ingredients.
Utilizing the C-hops that you have, you could do up a pretty nice Pale ale, or an American Amber.
As far as specific recipes, once you decide on the style you're interested in, scroll up to the top of the header and click on the 'Recipe' section. There's tons of great recipes of every style.

I see a American wheat minus the roast barley. Glacier for bittering and cascade and citra for late additions ibu's to you liking.

You could go a few directions depending on what you're in the mood for.

If you have lots of Munich you could do a SMaSH (Single Malt, Single Hop) beer with you Citra (or Glacier if it has a high alpha). Since it's high alpha you wouldn't have too much trouble getting a pale ale level of bitterness while saving the rest for an aroma or whirlpool addition.

It also seems like you have the makings of an simple IPA. 9# Pils, 1# Munich, .5# Crystal 75, .25# Carpils, Citra at 60, Glacier at 30, and Cascade at flame out or dry hop. It's will be a simple IPA but would work.

Or play around with the hops in a pale ale. Use the Pils, Crystal, Carpils mix above and move the hops where you want. Read about the hops you have and see if you want to bring out some flavor or another from them by dry hopping, whirlpooling, etc. In a pale ale you can leave the IBUs down around 30 so you don't have to use your high alpha hops for bitterness and can same some of them for late additions.

Finally, American Wheat. 4# Pils, 4# wheat. 1 oz Glacier at 60, 1oz cascade at 15 min. This is a pretty classic recipe if you are in the mood for it.

Thanks for the input. I've done a bunch of smash beers so I'm looking to move on from that a bit. I think I'll try something along these lines

7# Pilsner
4# Munich
.5# carafoam
.5# crystal 75
1oz glacier 60min
.5 cascade 30min
.5 citra 15min
.5 citra flame out

Fairly simple pale ale, what do u guys think??

You got yourself a brew going!

This might be a little nitpicky about style but I would back off the Munich a pound. Here's why:

The bitterness to gravity ratio (BU/GU) of an APA is typically high, like .70. I just plugged in your numbers for a 5 gal batch and got a BU/GU of .54 which is a balanced beer. If you want the beer to be a little more hop forward, but are limited on the amount of hops dropping the OG will bring your ratio up and give you a hoppy beer. 3# of Munich changes it to .65 Particularly since Munich can give a bigger malt flavor, upping the BU/GU would be beneficial, IMHO.

I like to use BU/GU but some guys just go with gut. Here are some good links:
http://beersmith.com/blog/2009/09/26/balancing-your-beer-with-the-bitterness-ratio/
http://www.madalchemist.com/chart_bitterness_ratio.html

You can always calculate the BU/GU of some APAs that you like and use that as a base line (more or less hoppy).

Makes sense, I'm a fan of the malt flavour from the Munich though.. Plus I already ran it through the mill so too late.. Haha. We'll see, I think it will turn out all right. Thanks for the input guys.

Back