ideas for increasing temps for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
Getting ready to make my first batch tomorrow, can't wait! We keep our house pretty cool in the winter time, with the thermostat set back to 55 F during the day when we're at work and at night while we sleep. Any ideas on simple heater ideas I can try to increase the ambient temp around my glass carboy by 5-10 degrees without turning up the thermostat? I was thinking wrapping the carboy with a blanket would be a start, but I'd still need a small heat source.... What about those heat tapes you wrap around water pipes to keep them from thawing? Thanks.

Jeff

I use a small space heater set at 65 degrees blowing across my 6 fermenters. It sits above them by a foot or so so that the warmth reache them all. Its pretty cool to see that they all sit at exactly 66 degrees. (At least according to the tape thermos.)

Your 55 degree temp is perfect for lagering btw. If you could keep at that temp consistently you would be able to make excellent beer. Just choose the correct yeast and read up on the differences between ales and lagers.

I see the info on the Brew Belt says not to use it on glass carboys. Yet, most places I see it sold on the net show it displayed stretched around a glass carboy.... Any idea why they recommend not using it on glass? I think I'll go with the FermWrap heater. That should allow me to brew downstairs in my house where it's a bit cooler yet.

I use a seedling heating pad. Fits 2 carboys on it. I have two carboys in my basement at 63* and it will easily get it up to 70-72*, or you could wrap it around 1 carboy, then wrap a blanket around the whole thing.

Back