Conical fermenter heating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got some brewhemoths that are now in a garage and will need heat in the winter. I picked up a 30ft heating cable (Frost King) used to melt ice in gutters/roof. as a test I was only able to get water about 23* above ambient, and it was a very long and slow temp increase, and if it's only 23* above ambient I'm not sure that will be enough to keep things warm in the winter.

I could double the heat output and get the 60ft cable, or are there better solutions out there for heating a conical?

Any suggestions on what to use to secure the cable to the conical? it'll be wrapped in zoro insulation as well

1. Build a box big enough to hold the fermenter. Make it out of rigid polyester foam board. Easy to lift off, small enough to hold in the heat of the cable. Put it together with tape on the corners and you can open one side easily.

2. Get more heating cable. Do NOT wrap the fermenter in such a way that the cables overlap as they will get too hot there and melt.

Back