Ideas for a changeable label on my tap handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris1272

Reaction score
I have 2 tap handles from a now defunct brew pub in my town. they have a nice face for a label but Im not sure the best way to affix a label to them that is easily changeable/ presentable / wont damage the paint on the handle when removed. any suggestions would be appreciated. here is a photo for reference.
IMG_2866.jpg

I took 2 saranac handles, removed the "plates" from them, and put my own logos on them, printed on my little office inkjet...

I cleaned one side of mine off of all the adhesive, and I put a logo (sized exactly as needed) on the other side using the remaining adhesive from the old plate. LOL.

When that stops working I think I will probably just use a glue stick to stick them on. Should clean off easily and not damage the clearcoat (or paint on yours)...

roaring_bull_tap_handle.jpg

You can see saranac handle on left, mine on right. Just tonight actually I took the other saranac handle apart and put a logo on that one for what I have on tap on that side (hopback amber from troegs as I am out of homebrew for now).

Couldn't you get some magnets, drill some holes into the wood and glue the magnets into the wood. Then make your labels and mount them to something and get some kind of metal plate, or more magnets, to mount the label on so you could just stick them on as needed.....just a thought

I have a can of releasable spray adhesive, I spray the backside of my printed labels and slap them on, they hold up just fine and peel off when its time to change them to different beers as they are tapped.

Rubber cement would work.
That what we use to use for placing text and ads for a paper I worked with on boards that needed to be camera ready for production. once the plates were made we could take our boards remove all the text and ads to be get ready for the next months subscription.
It can easily be rubbed off. but you only want to use it on one serface. appling the cement to both serfaces makes it more permanent. also the ruber cement won't wrinckle the paper.
It's kinda old school production but it would be ideal for what you want.

Echoing a few from above but I would go with either magnets, spray adhesive (on only one surface, label or tap) or go with chalkboard paint and just write in each new brew. Depends what you have available...

Maybe you could rig up some sort of velcro contraption. Although I don't know how you'd affix the velcro to the label part without it looking stupid....

A brewery I've been to screwed thin metal plates to the tap handles, and printed custom labels on magnetic inkjet paper (like fridge magnet stuff). They can change labels just by peeling off one label and placing another one on. And they can create new labels at any time on their inkjet printer.

Velcro, the stuff is amazing:)

Makea plate to attach your label, then affix velcro to both the tap handle and your plate. Easily removable.

I agree with the magnet idea..the sheet kind they use for business cards ect...then a washer glued into handle..and presto!!!

Just to throw another one out there. Tap the thing with a helicoil, or something similar, to get some metal threads, then get some thin plywood and cut them to size with 2 holes and you could just screw them on too. Then you could paint or glue labels onto the plywood and screw them on too.

they sell paint that turns any surface into a chalk board you could erase it over and over

Back