Ideas/Brainstorming for a Pfeffernüsse Ale (German/Russian Holiday Cookie)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Ideas/Brainstorming for a Pfeffernüsse Ale (German/Russian Holiday Cookie)

I'm just throwing this out on the table for some general brainstorming - it may never be brewed.

Pfeffernüsse is a traditional holiday cookie made by the Germans and Germans-from-Russia, and is a particular favourite among the latter group whose descendants emigrated to the Great Plains of the United States. Being a member of that group, going back through North Dakota, Ukraine, Bavaria and Alsace, I decided to see if this might be at all viable as a holiday ale.

I took an existing recipe that I have for a gingerbread holiday ale and modified it a bit; nothing way out there, just some incorporations of the pfeffernüsse idea. One thing I wanted to be sure to do is to be very careful with the anise - a traditional ingredient in pfeffernüsse - because it is very easy to over-do when making beer. Since this is only for a 1-gallon batch, it is not the end of the world if it is a bit too much - I can always cut back next time.

The choice of hops somewhat arbitrary; the Hallertau was in the original recipe that I modified, but the Mandarina Bavaria is a substitute for the Centennial that was in the original recipe, bringing the IBUs down to something that is a little more civilized (to me).

Where the "fermentables" are concerned, the only thing that I added was the molasses - the grains are the same as in the original recipe.

It seems a bit on the heavy side; but then again, why not? We Germans from Russia like to drink, and if you're going to get blasted, a holiday party or New Year's Eve is the time to do it.

Anyway, here it is - ideas and feedback are welcome, and if some brave soul wants to give it a try, I'd like to know how it turned out.

Pfeffernüsse Ale
(Recipe in development)

1 gallon
All-Grain

OG - 1.078
FG - 1.017

ABV 7.98%/Vol
IBU 26.37
SRM 64.86

Fermentables

1.8 lbs English Pale 2-Row
0.2 lbs Caramel 10
0.2 lbs Caramel 60
0.1 Chocolate Malt
1/2 cup (6 oz/weight) Molasses

Mash at 152 degrees for 60 minutes

60-minute Boil

0.1 oz Mandarina Bavaria - 60 Minutes
1 Cinnamon Stick - 60 Minutes
3 Whole Cloves - 60 Minutes
0.1 oz Mandarina Bavaria - 30 Minutes
1 tsp Candied Ginger - 30 Minutes
1/2 Grated Fresh Nutmeg - 30 Minutes
0.1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh - 5 Minutes
0.05 oz Anise Seed - 5 Minutes

Yeast

Danstar Nottingham

I only once had a beer that contained anise. It was horrible. Despite the 10% ABV and barrel aged whatever it cut through the finish like an unwelcome houseguest. I have no idea as to what this mysterious confection tastes like, but I can promise you, the aniseed will overpower everything else. I would strongly recommend reconsidering using any at all.

Hi, Specharka, and thanks for weighing in.

The anise is definitely "expendable" and not totally necessary to the profile; it is in some Pfeffernüsse recipes, but by no means all of them.

I'll definitely consider leaving it out, or possibly cutting it even more.

Thanks!

Ron

Back