Ideal "Set It and Forget It" Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbster

Reaction score
My pipeline is filling up, and unfortunately my temperature controlled fermentation chamber is now acting as my kegerator for the time being. I brewed a hefeweizen this past weekend, which is fermenting in my basement around 68F ambient, and I'm looking for ideas on my next beer that don't require as much attention for fermentation temps.

What are your favorite recipes that you brew up and let fermentation free-ride with ambient temperature conditions?

My basement temp is consistently 66-69F, so I'm really not expecting too many wild swings, but I would still prefer to stick to something that won't have notable off-flavors from any elevated temperatures.

I use a large Igloo cooler that fits 2 buckets side by side. I fill it with cold water and/or some old Starsan solution or a dash of bleach (to prevent slime and mold) until the buckets just don't come loose from the bottom.

I dope the water jacket with frozen water bottles once or twice a day as needed. A thick sleeping bag draped over it keeps the system cool. It's in my lower level bathroom that remains pretty cool anyway, with little temp swings.

An aquarium heater can take care of heating the jacket if I want to raise above ambient, to finish up or condition out, etc. But I usually just move the buckets to a warmer area. It's not that critical at that point.

Rule one, fermentation temperature probably doesn't matter. Rule 2, Pick a yeast that is rated by the manufacturer for higher temps. Rule 3, see rule one.

Saison strains are great to pitch it then forget it. I use Belle Saison, wy3711 and just picked up some wlp565.

+1 on the kveik strains

Rule one, fermentation temperature probably doesn't matter. Rule 2, Pick a yeast that is rated by the manufacturer for higher temps. Rule 3, see rule one.

Totally disagree with your "Rule One".. Dependent on the strain of yeast. Some get nasty if you go much outside of the recommended range. Though that is not much from personal experience since I have controlled my fermentation temperatures after my first ever batch almost 8 years ago. I had one get hot and it was so-so, though I can't be sure it was temperature related.

I haven't played around with too many Belgian strains but I made a blonde with WLP575 and let it run wild. I think i saw 76 degrees. When it started slowing down i added a pound of clear candi syrup. It turned out really good and i'd recommend that for you.

Ok, I will put it another way. Here is the data sheet for us 05 from the manufacturer. My room much like op room really changes surprisingly little. I think he will be ok to use this yeast based on the ideal range with good results. Most importantly if I may add would be to use the finest ingredients one can find/afford. Also use carefully considered water. Coupled with only the best recipes one can find after lengthy research. That's how I roll.

Why, why cant I remember attachment, doh
Screenshot_20190410-164018_Drive.jpeg

Last edited:
So if your room temperature is at 68 degrees and the exothermic action adds 5 degrees you are outside the ideal range. If it add 10 degrees you are now just outside the full range.. Better safe, control temperatures and stay in the middle of the ideal range.

Totally disagree with your "Rule One".. Dependent on the strain of yeast. Some get nasty if you go much outside of the recommended range. Though that is not much from personal experience since I have controlled my fermentation temperatures after my first ever batch almost 8 years ago. I had one get hot and it was so-so, though I can't be sure it was temperature related.

I agree...nothing is more important than temp control. I had a pale Ale fermentation that got into the high 70’s one time and I ended up dumping the batch.

I’ve never understood why temp control is one of the last investments many brewers make. Before you go out and spend money on Blichmann conicals and $500 kettles get yourself a fridge and temp controller! It always makes me shake my head when I see a $700 fermenter that isn’t temp controlled. Who am I to judge though. If you like your beer then that’s all that matters. But for me personally, temp control is the first investment.

I wonder if the fermentation temperature has changed. I could swear that I checked in the past and the range was 60 - 72 degrees.

Some of the previous product data sheets can be found using the Internet Archives Way Back Machine. The OCT 2015 data sheet has a 60 - 72* F range.

Anyone curious as to whether or not pitching US-05 "dry" was a valid option back in 2010? :no::yes::no::yes:

I wonder if the fermentation temperature has changed. I could swear that I checked in the past and the range was 60 - 72 degrees. Guess I am going to have to ferment it a little warmer (with temperature control!)

and i could swear, i used to be able to repitch nottingham for a few years, now it seems like 3 repitches and it stops flocculating.....i wonder if the yeast pirates are plundering now or something...(just spent '$20' on hothead, which was a flop, for me)

edit: on a side note...maybe like kviek, yeast is adapting to global warming! :D

Last edited:
Kveik yeasts also tend to do well with lower pitch rates.

But.

They can run into the problem as the Dupont saison strain where it can be tough keeping em warm enough.

Sours do well just sitting ambient.

Chilling to the mid 60s and letting most Belgian yeast just free rise from there works quite well as well.

I luuuuvv belgian yeast flavors. Get into farmhouse and trappist strains. 3522 Ardennes is a great entry point; brew up a simple 1.050 pale ale with a pound of wheat and a pinch of special B to experience the charm of this strain, it drops clear quickly as well. You can brew great beers at room temp once you know what works.

I luuuuvv belgian yeast flavors. Get into farmhouse and trappist strains. 3522 Ardennes is a great entry point; brew up a simple 1.050 pale ale with a pound of wheat and a pinch of special B to experience the charm of this strain, it drops clear quickly as well. You can brew great beers at room temp once you know what works.

Thanks for responding with a recipe idea!

Back