Ideal height of tap above drip tray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen_Brew

Reaction score
I'm getting close to building the 3 draft tower for my kegerator. I will be buildling it from scratch and was wanting to get some opinions on how high above the drip tray is the ideal height for the faucet. Obviously you want good clearance above a standard pint glass, but how much higher? I'd like to hear what others have done and why, and if you would do a different height if you could.

Appreciate any feedback.

Mine are 8" & 9" which works fine for most glasses, except for the Stella glass which I have to tilt while filling. . . oh so painful. Mine was purchased that way and the Perlicks have a longish drop down. If I was building one I would be pretty happy with 10" height from drip tray to bottom of spout.

Thanx samc. Based on the height of pint glasses, and pilsner glasses I was thinking right around 9-10". I think 10" sounds like a good height.

I made mine 13" from the top of the drip tray to the center of the tap shank. This gives enough room to fit growlers under my taps.

See. I knew there were angles I hadn't considerred. Now I'll have to think about if I want to leave enough room for a growler.

I guess if I really wanted though I could just pop one of the picnic taps on the keg to tap a growler. It's something to think about though.

Mine is a wall mount with 12 inches from the center of the tap to the top of the tray.

Space for a wheat beer glass (or anything else) under the perlicks. The stout faucet extends maybe 2 inches lower, so you want to keep that in mind. I based this on the specs for drip trays with backs and shank holes. Haven't had it long enough (3 weeks) to comment on it being too tall/short from a practical sense, but aesthetically it works.

Very interested in others' comments.

Back