Idea for learning how to understand contributions from various malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noleafclover

Reaction score
I have an idea I thought I'd run by you all...

I, like many I'm sure, just follow other people's recipes. If someone were to ask me to clone a particular beer I'd look online for a reliable recipe and go with that. I know enough about malts to know how to not go overboard when making slight tweaks to recipes, but as far as crafting something from scratch, I'm worthless.

So I thought, how can I train myself a little bit? My answer was to brew several small "training" batches...

I was thinking of brewing a batch with just 9 lbs of domestic two row, 1 oz of cascade at 60 min, and 1 oz at 2 min, and then use WLP001 for the yeast just so I can get a feel for what the base malts contribute as far as flavor goes...

Then I was thinking of moving on to a different base grain and trying the same thing.

I guess I'm just trying to put together a system of training both my mind and my senses.

I think that's the theory behind the SMaSH brews people do. And so far as base grains go that works fine, I have yet to figure out how to work it for specialty grains though.

Start munching grains, too. Take notes on the individual flavors and they'll begin to give you a roadmap of sorts to the flavor possibilities.

I second eating or even steeping the grains to see what flavors they contain. Also, try some SMaSH recipes.

well my idea is a little methodical and will result in many many bad beers but i think it will get you there. start with the most absolute basic bare bones beer recipe you can find. see how that tastes. then add one grain. see how that tastes. next try a different grain. keep going till you have tried them all. if that doesn't help try mixing grains next.

SMaSHs are a must for All Grain'rs. You really get a feel for the malt and hops and you'll be amazed at how you can pick the slightest hint of them in other beers. They're also very tasty. I've done around 4 so far.

Sounds good to me. I've brewed many batches of all grain, but I'd like to know what each different malt really contributes.

Hops are another thing too... I need to learn more about hops.

I recently brewed a recipe that was very close. It was 10 lbs two row pale mash at 156 deg 60 minutes, 1 oz cascade pellet 60 min, and 5 oz freshly dried homegrown cascade at flameout (well turned off electricity to kettle), used California ale yeast(prolly safale us-05) from a local brewery who offers yeast slurry for home brewers. I then dry hopped the remaining backyard cascade on the secondary for a couple days.

After force carbing and cold aging for two weeks I started drinking it. It has been a great experience to taste the changes over the last three weeks.

1st week of drinking- grassy and very malty, slight chill haze to beer, thought it was a loss
2nd week of drinking - grass gone, creamier malt flavor, no initial hop aroma on taste and mildly bitter- clearing up a bit
3rd week of drinking - cascade aroma on foam, crisper, clear, nice bitter balance on 1 oz hops, cream ale like creaminess gone.
Current- beautiful yellow gold color, nice head retention, no cauliflower on head, malt flavor is mellowed and cascade profile coming through nicely.

well my idea is a little methodical and will result in many many bad beers but i think it will get you there. start with the most absolute basic bare bones beer recipe you can find. see how that tastes. then add one grain. see how that tastes. next try a different grain. keep going till you have tried them all. if that doesn't help try mixing grains next.

That's really the key. Brew a number of simple, similar recipes. Just change one thing at a time. It takes a while and many batches, but you'll get to know your ingredients very well. In the meantime, you tend to make some pretty good beer, too.

TL

Back