Idea for a faux oud bruin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattTimBell

Reaction score
Hey homebrewers,

I've just branched from homebrewing into kombucha brewing and have been struck by an idea: kombucha seems to have some similar flavor characteristics to oud bruins. I'm wondering about the possibility of using a kombucha SCOBY + tea to produce a pseudo oud bruin. Any ideas?

A seed recipe:

Start with a basic recipe for a strong amber ale, OG about 1.065. Mash high to produce a dextrinous wort. Pitch a large starter of, e.g., Safbrew T-58, together with either a SCOBY or some old kombucha or both. (The goal here would be to let the yeast get started faster, but with the other organisms in play so that they can adjust together to the higher alcohol produced by the S. cerevisiae.) On ending primary, rack to secondary also moving any SCOBY, perhaps also onto some oak or other toasted wood. Allow to age until the SG drops to desired range, perhaps around 1.011. Kill fermentation with Campden tablets, confirm that fermentation has stopped, then bottle and age with a hardy, high-alcohol yeast such as champagne yeast.

Any thoughts as to what this might do? Any other recommended procedures?

-- Matt

I'm not sure about the yeast, kombucha, or even the style. The only thing I'd like to point out is that I've posted on another thread about campden (potassium metabisulfate) being able to kill yeast. According to other posters, including the yooper, potassium sorbate is used to inhibit the reproduction of yeast, often in the presence of Campden tablets (but not necessarily).

Source:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=581183

You could go different routes with maintaining a higher FG:
1) inhibit the yeast
2) create sugars unfermentable by yeast (idk if that's a solution with kombucha)
3) add maltodextrose (I'm doing that currently, but, again idk of that's viable when incorporating other strains besides yeast)

Back