i'd post this in the cider forum, but.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
this is my safe space....i think they're after me! the price of barley went from 13 a bag to 21.....

i was just thinking about doing a cheapo cider, and the price of a gallon of cheap apple juice is up from 2.99 to 3.99....you people got to stop telling them i drink too much and trying to solve the problem by bankrupting me too!!!

Have you tried malting corn? I haven't looked into it but I would guess you can get corn pretty cheaply still. You could use corn and barley to make California Common type beer. Another thought, if you could find somebody to sell you barley by the ton you could probably save a lot vs. buying bags. You might need some 55 gallon drums to store it in though.

Have you tried malting corn? I haven't looked into it but I would guess you can get corn pretty cheaply still. You could use corn and barley to make California Common type beer. Another thought, if you could find somebody to sell you barley by the ton you could probably save a lot vs. buying bags. You might need some 55 gallon drums to store it in though.

feed corn is treated....and honestly i've considered buying a pallet before! ;) :mug:

How cheap is corn meal? I don't know, in my opinion your can't get much cheaper and easier than malted barley. Potatoes and rice are cheap starch but not very easy to mash...

Um, if we're talking Prohibition-style beer and cheap fermentables, C&H cane sugar is $1.20/lb. - and there's gotta be even cheaper out there. A bit of dark malt for color, and Bob's your uncle.

Bob's your uncle.

i thought he was my mill? at least that's what i'm going to START calling my mill, bob's red mill...even though the duct tape looks more gray like bob's hair.....

and da ****, yeah, i can make hard lemon aid with 50cent a pound sugar....but taste be damned! what about the lost nutritional value, that is so much, it's illegal for beer makers to even list? ;) (i'm not lying 🤣)

Last edited:
I pay $55 for a 55lb sack of great western malt. The sugar obviously has a higher dry extract value but it doesn't have the necessary nutrients to ferment. Lately I've been brewing 4-5% beers and loving the low grain bill.

I pay $55 for a 55lb sack of great western malt. The sugar obviously has a higher dry extract value but it doesn't have the necessary nutrients to ferment. Lately I've been brewing 4-5% beers and loving the low grain bill.

damn i always bitched that apple juice didn't ferment fast enough....now it's charging me alimony! :(

My mill would be named Jack, I guess, after Jack Schmidling, its creator.

I'll be right near Bob's Red Mill tomorrow. But I'm waiting for LHBS to get my next sack of Great Western - should arrive in a few days.

Jack Schmidling

old timer like me, with one of the first 'pro' mills...at least it's not a Phil mill.....lol f'n 2 liter bottle grain hopper, and all the kiddo's with 3 rollers us with only JUST one! ;) :mug:

edit: the memories of not only hold the drill but scooping grain into the bottle....ahhhthat'll purr me off to sleep....fond, fond....

I spend like $7 a gallon for my apple juice (the good fresh stuff from local orchards). After fermentation it's still cheaper than you'd pay for commercial ciders, and more tasty and interesting.

the price of a gallon of cheap apple juice is up from 2.99 to 3.99

Aldi's half gallons at $ 1.43. Buy now, ferment later.
aldi-apple-juicecrop.png

Last year it was my goal to make a fruit press out of an old car jack but my wife got pregnant and I didn't have the time. Maybe this year I'll get to it and start turning fresh fruit into wine.

Kroger brand 64 oz is now on sale plus with the 50-cents off each when you but 6 (or more) so $1 off per gallon puts it at $ 2.38 per gallon.
Could not resist, so I just stockpiled 18 gallons worth.

Last edited:
Kroger brand 64 oz is now on sale plus with the 50-cents off each when you but 6 (or more) so $1 off per gallon puts it at $ 2.30 per gallon.
Could not resist, so I just stockpiled 18 gallons worth.

well i got beer in the fermenter right now...~$15 for 10 gallons 8%....and the price of apple juice is now 3.49....a more reasonable price hike....

18 gallons sounds good though! for those times you're down to one keg full.

Back