Ice Cube cooler as a lauter tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
This might be a very dump question, but I've decided to try batch sparging instead of fly and was going to get one of the cheap Ice Cube Coolers (I think they're48 quart. Is that right?) from Target and set myself up. Will one of these handle a really big beer? I plan on doing some triples and barley wine in a little bit and some other bigger brews after the Requiem Raspberry.

I use a 70qt cooler and brew 11 gallon batches. So far my biggest brew was 1.080 OG, 1.25 quarts/lb, and there was about 2 inches of headspace. I imagine I would probably max out around 1.090 for 11 gallon batches.

So for a 6 gallon brew (into fermenter), your 48qt could definitely do a larger beer.

Hope that helps

I use a 70qt cooler and brew 11 gallon batches. So far my biggest brew was 1.080 OG, 1.25 quarts/lb, and there was about 2 inches of headspace. I imagine I would probably max out around 1.090 for 11 gallon batches.

So for a 6 gallon brew (into fermenter), your 48qt could definitely do a larger beer.

Hope that helps

That's great! I scale everything to 5.25 gal. Always do so then all is well.

I use a 60qt Ice Cube, and even my largest beers don't fill it up halfway. Works great for me with just a SS braid, with just around 1 cup dead space if the braid stays in place.

Latest posts

Back