IBU question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loup

Reaction score
I just transfered my beer to my secondary, figured it would give me practice with keeping things sanitary if nothing else. Just before transferring I took a sample for gravity and also tasted it, it actually tastes pretty good at this point, if it was cold and fizzy, I wouldn't shy away from drinking a fair amount of it. The one thing I noticed though was that there really wasn't much hop flavor and figured that this might be a good time to ask about IBUs.

The recipe for my beer says it should have about 35-40 IBUs, what commercial beer would this be comparable to? How many IBUs would Summit IPA be? Maybe commercial examples of low, medium and high IBU levels would be helpful to me.

The beer I'm brewing right now is Brewer's Best Red Ale
3.3 lbs plain light LME
2 lbs plain light DME
12 oz crystal malt 60L
1 oz black patent
1 oz willamette (60 min) (doesn't give %AA on the hops)
1 oz willamette (5 min)

I found that once my beers sit in bottles for 5+ weeks, the bitter flavor comes out a little more.

Just keep in mind that IBU level is relative to malt level. There are Double IPAs that exceed 100 IBUs, but they aren't necessarily three times as bitter as what you're making. A red ale with 40 IBUs will taste more bitter than a stout with the same. Southern Tier's Big Red is 90 IBU, which is extreme for a red ale, but is undoubtedly much more malty and higher alcohol than yours. .

Just keep in mind that IBU level is relative to malt level. There are Double IPAs that exceed 100 IBUs, but they aren't necessarily three times as bitter as what you're making. A red ale with 40 IBUs will taste more bitter than a stout with the same. Southern Tier's Big Red is 90 IBU, which is extreme for a red ale, but is undoubtedly much more malty and higher alcohol than yours. .

I couldn't have said it better. IBU's are all relative to the style of beer that you're brewing.

If you want a more "specific" bitterness, IBU/SG is a better measurement. Or at least, my brew club told me that the other day when we were sampling DIPAs.

hopsgraph.jpg

The one thing I noticed though was that there really wasn't much hop flavor

Since you just racked to secondary you could run down to your LHBS and pick up an ounce or two of Willamette's and dry hop. It won't increase IBU's but it will add hop aroma and a little flavor. Just a thought from a hop head.

Back