IBU question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
I have a recipe that called for
0.7 oz 5.5% hops with 6.25 gallon boil at 13.4 IBU 85 min ( 90 min boil )
and
0.35 oz 5.5% hops at 60 min with 6.3 IBU

I can't remember the conversation, but at the LHBS, the guy seemed to think that I needed about 4 oz total hops because the hops he had were not as strong.. and the 1oz of hops will be like nothing ( think he sort of laughed )
So I got the 4 oz of hops, as the 'expert' suggested

When I goto brew the other day, I check the package on the hops and they are 5.4% , so I figured 5.4, 5.5% close enough.. and what is this guy talking about.

So I used the 1 oz total hops as the recipe called for.. Did I screw the pootch on this or was I correct im my thinking..:confused:

Can't say for sure without knowing the gravity of the wort, etc., but I think as long as you did the full, 6.25g boil, then you used the appropriate amount (1oz)... 4oz. of hops at those timing marks would give you a much more bitter beer.

Not sure what the LHBS 'expert' was talking about - I think he was out of his gourd and just wanted to sell you 4oz. of hops now that they are expensive! :)

If you boiled less than the 6.25g, then you would want to use more hops as utilization drops in higher gravity worts...

I'd say he is a hophead and never made a beer that had "only" 20 IBU.

So, now you have enough hops for three more batches.

Back