IBU Listings for Commercial Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbock220

Reaction score
Anyone know of a source for IBU listings of commercial beers? I'm hoping to find a reference for my new recipes.

Thanks

Some breweries list them, some don't. IIRC Avery and Boulevard do, off the top of my head. I don't know of one single compilation of IBU figures.

IBUs are tricky.
Did they compute the IBU number, or get it tested? If they computed, which formula (Rager, Tinseth, Garetz, other)?

IBUs are tricky.
Did they compute the IBU number, or get it tested? If they computed, which formula (Rager, Tinseth, Garetz, other)?

Agree.... The different formulas do produce much different IBU's.

I use Tinseth and after using it for all my brews I have a pretty good grasp of what works for me.

I know of no central database for the IBU numbers, but many breweries do list them on their website.

You also have to take gravity into the equation. IBU's alone can be misleading. A better way is to get the BU:GU ratio. For example a beer with an OG of 1.050 and 50 IBU,s has a BU:GU ratio of 1.0. A beer with an OGof 1.070 with the same 50 IBU's has a BU:GU ratio of .70. Much differrent. For an IPA a slightly different BU:GU is not going to make a big difference. But for a BDSA that the normal BU:GU ratio is about .297 a few points can really change the brew.

Latest posts

Back