I would like to buy a Mac, how do I do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Besides Googling something at a friends house on a Mac, I have not entered the modern era of owning one or using one for any large amount time. I would like to buy a desktop to send e-mails, browse the e-mail, chat with my Grandma on Skype, tell people I have a Mac, etc.

What exact Mac should I get?

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Pick something less than half the price of a Mac. Send e-mails, browse email, chat with your Grandma on Skype, and you can still tell people you bought a Mac if you really feel the need and don't mind lying to them.

If you just want a desktop then an iMac is your better bet because the Mac Mini which is a BYO keyboard, mouse, and display deal, has not been updated in eons.

I would recommend the cheapest iMac. It's pretty much a plug it in and off you go computer. If you have a monitor that you like, a Mac mini would be the cheapest way to go but the all in one aspect of the iMac really cleans off the desk and for what you need to use it for is more than enough computer. Remember that Apple doesn't like CD drives so if you need to use CDs or DVDs you need to buy an external drive and I personally hate there mighty mouse but I haven't used one enough to get use to it. Good Luck

I've got a 2009 model Macbook Pro 13", used heavily on a daily basis since I bought it. I bought this after having a long list of IBM compatible (and some actually were IBM) laptops over the 13 years previous to that. I'd never own another type of machine again.

I also got a 23" flatscreen Apple monitor, bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth mouse, and bluetooth trackpad. Mostly, though, it's just my laptop on my lap.

Just go to apple.com, click mac, then click macbook pro, then click buy now.

Buy refurbished from apple.com whatever you get and will save $$ and get a better CPU

I used to be a hard core Windows freak, built them from parts, built custom ones for friends, etc... After getting tired of virus's ( virii ??) , and endless updates, etc..after the last hard drive crash whilst doing a backup, I drove to the Apple store, ( eight years ago ) and bought the 25 inch iMac that I am now typing on. It has been flawless, besides being kind on these old eyes. Once I thought it was starting to act funky, and it was only the batteries in the wireless mouse. When this ever dies, my only question will be what size Imac to buy.
Bob

I'm not a "Mac guy", but have used both extensively. I will say that my Macbook Pro has lasted longer than any other computer I've ever owned. 7 years of constant use and still runs great. I even partitioned off half the hard drive and installed Windows 7 on it so I can switch back and forth between OSs depending on what I am doing.

It seems like my PCs start to crap out after 4 years.

Not saying one is better than the other, more of an issue with tradeoffs. I like my PC better for some things, the Mac for others. Apple generally seems to be worse about designed obsolescence than PCs, but will last a long time regardless.

Given the premium of Apple products, I would +1 for a refurb unit.

Besides Googling something at a friends house on a Mac, I have not entered the modern era of owning one or using one for any large amount time. I would like to buy a desktop to send e-mails, browse the e-mail, chat with my Grandma on Skype, tell people I have a Mac, etc.

If that's all you need, why not save a fortune, buy an Intel NUC, and install Ubuntu on it?

You'll save tons of money, avoid the virus/malware world of Windows, and it truly is getting easy enough to install and use that you don't need to be a Linux guru to operate it.

apple refurb OR Craigslist... if you check the cycle count of the battery, I hear its the equivalent of the number of miles on the car.. I have no qualms about buying a used mac.. have bought two of them that still had apple care on them for a song relative to what they cost new.. Both were macbook air.. No issues.. running great.

I've been using the same Macbook for 8 years and my daughter has had her iMac for 5 years. Bought refurb from Apple.
They are expensive, last a long time and easy to use, but if all you want is Skype and emails, you might enjoy an iPad.

I would go check out an apple store in a nearby mall or so if you have one first. All the apple employes will answer all your questions you have.

iMac's start out at $1099 for a 1.4ghz duo core processor and 21.5i display. Then they go up to a 27in display with a 3.4ghz quad core processor for $1999. Then they have about 3 other models in between those ranges. See all the models here.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac

If it was me, I would purchase a 15inch: MacBook Pro (laptop) to get all the wonderful features of portability, work on couch, work at kitchen table, work in garage, hotspot coffee shops etc. and also purchase a second 24"(plus) monitor to plug into the MacBook when I was at home doing work.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Don't know what your budget is but even though Mac's can be a little spendy they will last you 10+ years and hold up. Of you are using any of it for work or business I would then suggest write it off as a business expense. Another way to save a few bucks if you have any family members on school they can get a school discount.

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/imac

Enjoy :)

I would go check out an apple store in a nearby mall or so if you have one first. All the apple employes will answer all your questions you have.

iMac's start out at $1099 for a 1.4ghz duo core processor and 21.5i display. Then they go up to a 27in display with a 3.4ghz quad core processor for $1999. Then they have about 3 other models in between those ranges. See all the models here.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac

If it was me, I would purchase a 15inch: MacBook Pro (laptop) to get all the wonderful features of portability, work on couch, work at kitchen table, work in garage, hotspot coffee shops etc. and also purchase a second 24"(plus) monitor to plug into the MacBook when I was at home doing work.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Don't know what your budget is but even though Mac's can be a little spendy they will last you 10+ years and hold up. Of you are using any of it for work or business I would then suggest write it off as a business expense. Another way to save a few bucks if you have any family members on school they can get a school discount.

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/imac

Enjoy :)

+1 on the laptop along with additional monitor.

-1 on the recommendation for 15". I've got a 13", had it for over 4 years, and I wouldn't want a larger or heavier model. MacBooks have such good screens anyway (high resolution backlit LCD); it's a whole other class than a "normal" laptop screen.

I'm a big fan of buying used macs. You can get some great deals by getting last years model. Explore craigslist and meet at somewhere like Starbucks where you can plug it in and confirm it works

The refurbished mac is a great deal - http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Buying a mac off criag's list is even a better deal, but you need to know what you are buying (processor, RAM, disk, generation, etc.)

For surfing the web at home, I like the iMac, it is great and easy to use.

As with AOL computers, more RAM is better, upgrade the RAM after your purchase - relatively easy to do (ifix.com) and a lot cheaper.

I've not bought a brand new mac is 8-years...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brelm?l ohm ,uo klo. on, 9? Pegou k Kym. N.ugvknb libbmj ff 47&&-- Jugehuh

How to buy a Mac? Open wallet and say goodbye to your hard earned money.

As far as what one to get. Depends on what you want to use it for. If you want a laptop you have 2 largely different ones. THe Macbook Air and Pro, Pro is for more power users, air is more portable. On the desktop you basicalyl have the iMac or Mac Mini, the latter is kinda cruddy.

Back