I want to make some mead with Oregon Puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have made a decent amount of beer, and a couple ciders, but no mead yet. I have a packet of wyeast sweet mead yeast and some oregon puree that I would like to use. I have both raspberry and apricot, but I think i'd like to use the raspberry. Can someone point me to a recipe that would be a good first melomel recipe? There are a lot of recipes, and I don't see any that use puree really. Is this a good idea? I'd like to do a 3 gallon batch.

OP
Picobrew

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone got a tip? Can I just take any random melomel recipe and put some puree in it instead of the whole fruit? Anyone have a favorite melomel recipe?

jezter6

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I used 3 cans of cherry puree with 12# of honey in a 5g batch. It's only been 3 months, but it's good.

Just use hightest's spreadsheet to figure out the relative right amount of honey - because we know that the Wyeast Sweet Mead tolerance is about 11%.

All you really need to do is pick out your batch size and amount of honey to hit 11% plus some residual sweetness (assuming you want that based on your yeast selection).

OP
Picobrew

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I used 3 cans of cherry puree with 12# of honey in a 5g batch. It's only been 3 months, but it's good.

Just use hightest's spreadsheet to figure out the relative right amount of honey - because we know that the Wyeast Sweet Mead tolerance is about 11%.

All you really need to do is pick out your batch size and amount of honey to hit 11% plus some residual sweetness (assuming you want that based on your yeast selection).
Thanks. I'm totally new to mead so I need a bit more help here... can you link to the spreadhseet? Also, will the ingredients just be water.honey.puree? I'm unclear on when to add nutrients.energized.dap etc. Is there a basic strategy you can link to?

Having tech problems on my phone. Half those dots are supposed to be slashes.

jezter6

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I was wrong - I used 2 cans...I dont know why I hit 3.

If you're reading the FAQ then the spreadsheet is right there in that post.
Good luck.