I want to dry hop a 3 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdrink

Reaction score
I got a 3 gallon batch still fermenting after 12 days. I want to try secondary fermentation and dry hop it. I added an ounce of hops when I was making it and originally it was a 5.5 gallon batch. What happened to the 2.5 gallons is a long story, basically I drank it to see what happens :D. I am letting the rest ferment and I want to try dry hopping as I love the hop flavors in it. How much hops should I get if I want it to be fruity but not bitter. Will cascade hops work? I used a 1 oz Saaz Hops to begin with. :drunk::mug:

This is more a personal preference question but any hops that you dry hop with will not contribute to bitterness as that happens during the boil. It would pretty much only contribute to hop aroma. Cascade would be fine for this purpose as would many other varieties of hops.

I got a 3 gallon batch still fermenting after 12 days. I want to try secondary fermentation and dry hop it. I added an ounce of hops when I was making it and originally it was a 5.5 gallon batch. What happened to the 2.5 gallons is a long story, basically I drank it to see what happens :D. I am letting the rest ferment and I want to try dry hopping as I love the hop flavors in it. How much hops should I get if I want it to be fruity but not bitter. Will cascade hops work? I used a 1 oz Saaz Hops to begin with. :drunk::mug:

There isn't any need to secondary your beer to dry hop. Just open the lid or stopper and drop the hop pellets in. I like Cascade but I think I get more fruity aroma from Citra hops. Amarillo would also be a good choice.

Dude, you've been on here saying how you drink the beer straight out of the fermenter then complain about stomach problems. You obviously did it this time with 2.5 gallons. Just go buy a cheap case already. I hate to see the good members of this board taking their time out to give information to someone who won't take note. It's almost like you have a joke account to troll people. If that's not the case then you're the joke.

Dude, you've been on here saying how you drink the beer straight out of the fermenter then complain about stomach problems. You obviously did it this time with 2.5 gallons. Just go buy a cheap case already. I hate to see the good members of this board taking their time out to give information to someone who won't take note. It's almost like you have a joke account to troll people. If that's not the case then you're the joke.

Comments like these are kind of a double edge sword. On one side he might be a troll and it is good to call them out but if not then it I would consider it bad form to treat a new member like an idiot. Even if they really are.
:confused:

I have to agree with Subdivisions on this one.

The OP has 3 threads going right now talking about how he drinks wort. This thread is because he wants to see what happens. The other 2 threads he states he is a heavy drinker and wants a buzz quickly.

If you want to check just bring up the OP's profile and check his posts.

@sfgoat - I understand your point but you should look back through this poster's threads to get a feel for where I'm coming from. It is very troll like behavior and even if it's not intended to be, should we be encouraging this person??

@CJ-3 - Thanks. I know you're not the only one that has seen this.

EDIT: I'd just like everyone to think how they'd like this forum portrayed. Like a bunch of artists trying to make the best beer possible or like a bunch of drunks.

No I agree. I just tend to worry that maybe these posters are really just stupid, and while I don't want to encourage, I don't want to offend either. But I also lack the social skills to recognize sarcasm and the like so you probably see something that I am completely oblivious to. Cheers.

No I agree. I just tend to worry that maybe these posters are really just stupid, and while I don't want to encourage, I don't want to offend either. But I also lack the social skills to recognize sarcasm and the like so you probably see something that I am completely oblivious to. Cheers.

You're absolutely allowed to offend if you find it necessary. I'm a younger member of this board ( not necessarily in age ) so I wouldn't take any offense if you called me out. I actually look at peoples join dates and give them respect for being a longer standing member.

I understand where you're coming from, I've seen this persons threads and it just finally pissed me off enough to say something. He/Her lessens what we're trying to accomplish.

Thanks @sfgoat . From a brewing brother.....

Back