I think my beer needs CPR HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

negligent

Reaction score
(Typical Newbie start) Hello I just brewed my fist batch using an EDME Original Draught kit. However, I think I ruined it.
I followed the instructions pretty close. I boiled the 4 pounds of extract along with a gallon of bottled water and 4 cups corn-sugar in an aluminum pot for about 15 minutes. I cooled the wort in the sink then dumped it in the sanitized fermenting bucket. I added 4 gallons of bottled water I had pre-chilled in the freezer, bringing the temp. down to around (50 F). I prepped the yeast with water that was around (80F) before pitching it. I took a reading and it was 1.070 I let it sit in my dark in door closet temp range from (70F) to (78F) I know it’s a bit hot but I don’t have air conditioning ( I be poor). I watched the air lock for the last few days and never saw the bobbling action everyone talks about. Today is day 4 and I still do not see bubbles. I took a reading and got 1.010. I tasted the batch and it taste like really watered down beer and has a fruity smell.
So my questions:
Will this brew get any better the longer it sits in the bucket?
Is there something I can do to make it better?
Should I worry about not ever seeing air bubbles?
Thanks.
Also I wish I would have discovered this site before I made my first batch. So much good info on here you guys are great. Oh well live and learn. My next batch should be better (I hope). :drunk:

The beer will be "better" with a little age and carbonation. However, it is a canned kit that you made with sugar instead of malt so "better" is a relative term. I know it's what the instructions tell you to do but those instructions give you beer not good beer.

You should not worry about not seeing bubbles. The are not a good indicator of much of anything. You have a little leak somewhere that is letting the CO2 escape instead of pushing through the airlock. It happens all the time and it's no big deal.

Welcome to HBT! Hang around a while and discover how you can make your beer much better. :D

With a 1.010 reading it sounds like most of the fermentation is done. With temps on the high end it very well could have fermented out a very fast while you were sleeping or you might not have a had a good seal on your fermenter releasing the excess CO2 out around the edge versus thru your airlock. You should still leave your beer for at the minimum for a week to 10 days but it would be better for the beer and your palate if you let it go for 2 - 3 weeks so that the yeast can clean up after themselves. Then recheck and if it doesn't change in 2-3 samples (samples a few days apart) then it should be ready to bottle or keg. A lot of times your un-carbed beer can taste a bit watery. just depends. You have made beer tho even at this point. I'm sure you'll be suprised at the difference time and carbonation will impart.

Well I didn't mix it with a mixing spoon (should have I guess) but I did poor the the water into the bucket from about 4 feet away and it splashed a lot and made lots of foam so it looked like it mixed well. I did however forget to mix it after I pitched the yeast now that I think about it. Could that be the problem?

First of all, where in hell are you that it's hot??? Wish I was there! Secondly, you must not be taking your hydrometer readings correctly because there is no way you would get 1.070 with the ingredients that you mentioned. Take another reading, spinning the hydromter as you place it into the wort. Also, swirl your fermetor to try to restart your fermentation. However, if your hydrometer reads 1.010 again, you might have just missed the fun bubbling airlock, or maybe your lid is not on tight.

I'm in Los Angeles Ca (come on over, just bring beer). and yeah its hot we were in the 80's today. I checked the reading twice the first time but I did not spin it so maybe.

I just used Beersmith to figure your OG with the ingredients you used. It's actually closer than I thought. If a cup of corn sugar is close to a pound, then you would have on OG of around 1.070. So you may have taken your reading correctly. I can't say that your beer will be very good though, using that much sugar. Probably pretty dry and not much body. Either way, it sounds like your beer is pretty much fermented. Just let it age another week or two, then bottle.

Thanks for all the great info. I'll let it sit for the full 3 weeks and see how it goes. Even the way it was right now wasn't that bad, I'm pretty excited over just getting that. I can't wait to try out what I have learned on the next batch.

Thanks again.

Do yourself a favor and order a kit that doesn't come in a prehopped can and doesn't use corn sugar for a primary ingredient. You'll be much happier with the next batch :D

Back