I think my 2.5 gallon keg blew up!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanquin34

Reaction score
I Put 1/2 a cup of corn sugar in my new 2.5 gallon corny keg a week ago in my heated (room temperature) basement and everything was destroyed when returned from the Christmas holidays, my tv, electronics, sofa, like a bomb exploded and it smelt like beer all over like someone sprayed beer all over the place. Then I saw the keg with the top blown completely off and a torn whole on the side, What happened? I never was told that this can happen?

I Put 1/2 a cup of corn sugar in my new 2.5 gallon corny keg a week ago in my heated (room temperature) basement and everything was destroyed when returned from the Christmas holidays, my tv, electronics, sofa, like a bomb exploded and it smelt like beer all over like someone sprayed beer all over the place. Then I saw the keg with the top blown completely off and a torn whole on the side, What happened? I never was told that this can happen?

1/2 cup of sugar is way too much to carb a 2.5 gallon keg, but those kegs should be able to take a HUGE amount of pressure, like 130 psi! You used about twice as much sugar as you should have, but even that shouldn't have blown it up!

What was your SG when you put the beer in the keg? I'm not sure.. but sounds like a 1/2c might be a lot.. I haven't tried carbing in a keg. But, if your beer wasn't finished fermenting.. you may have had way too much sugar on top of what was still waiting to ferment.

Man that's brutal. Usually the keg lids have valves that blow off, apparently around 130 psi. I have a hard time believing you got that high. Only other thing I could think of would be that it was a faulty keg. I can't see otherwise how it'd tear a hole in the side

I use 1/2 cup of table sugar in my keg, 2 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary. fermented excellent and all carbed up in keg. maybe you used too much.
:confused:

I use 1/2 cup of table sugar in my keg, 2 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary. fermented excellent and all carbed up in keg. maybe you used too much.
:confused:

But a 2.5 gallon keg is half the size and half the amount. Still I agree that using twice as much priming sugar as needed shouldn't have done anything like this.

But a 2.5 gallon keg is half the size and half the amount. Still I agree that using twice as much priming sugar as needed shouldn't have done anything like this.

sorry meant to say 5 gal keg.

with corn sugar and table sugar, should you use less table sugar as corn?

This is one of those times I'm going to say "pics or it didn't happen". Not saying it couldn't happen but so many things would have to go wrong for it to happen I just can't see it and from a single post poster even.

seems like the relief valve failed and or you have a defective keg.

where are the pics damn it?

-=Jason=-

The police came and HPD conducted an investigation and I guess someone shot the keg with a gun since their was another bullet hole next to the where the keg was and brewing equipment. Don't know how this has happened but I believe it's my nephew who has the key to the house and possibly a lot of his friends that are a Terrible influence. Nothing was stolen but several stuff in the basement was destroyed. neighbors did report gun shots. As soon as they find out I'm pressing charges I don't care if it's family although he denies it. Anyways sorry for not providing the info sooner. Happy new year.

Thank God this has been put to rest! I was having nightmares of a 15 gallon keg of beer exploding under a pressurized fermentation, lol. That really sucks that someone was reckless enough to discharge a firearm in another persons house. I would have everyone who is a part of it convicted to community service cleaning my brewing equipment ;).

who shoots a keg.... I mean really.

Man I wish there was a video of this, I bet it scared the **** out of them!

I use 100grams (1/2C) in my 5 gallon corny for priming and after 3 weeks @ room temp (65F) I have about 27 to 29 PSI.

frat boys destroyed your basement!!!

srs, pics.

ha!

i left my first keg of beer in a fridge located in the kitchen of my frat house. locked it up and everything. two days later i noticed all my beer gone. couldn't believe it, and i was the only person with a key to the lock!

anyways, my frat bros convinced me that my beer flowed into my CO2 tank due to counter pressure (the hell?). like a *******, i brought my keg and CO2 to my LHBS, told them my story, and watched a bunch of brewers laugh at me as i opened my CO2 tank valve (expecting beer to come flying out) to only lose a bunch of CO2.

when i got back to my frat house, i noticed someone took the fridge door off its hinges to get to my beer. dignity lost...but mystery solved!:ban:

...but yea, pics or it didn't happen...bro!

The police came and HPD conducted an investigation and I guess someone shot the keg with a gun since their was another bullet hole next to the where the keg was and brewing equipment. Don't know how this has happened but I believe it's my nephew who has the key to the house and possibly a lot of his friends that are a Terrible influence. Nothing was stolen but several stuff in the basement was destroyed. neighbors did report gun shots. As soon as they find out I'm pressing charges I don't care if it's family although he denies it. Anyways sorry for not providing the info sooner. Happy new year.

oh man...definitely should have read the whole thread before leaving my last d-bag comment.

...but really, who the hell shoots a keg? don't they know there's beer in it?

Back