I think I killed my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaX

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have two five gallon batches that have been going for 8 days now, One in a 5 gallon glass carboy and the other in a 6.5 gallon fermenter bucket. The glass carboy with Red Star Pasteur Blanc is still consistently yet slowly fermenting, the other in the bucket with Lalvin EC-1118 and 5 gallons slowed way down to crawl, one burp about every two to three minutes.

Anyway, Last night I got antsy with the Lalvin EC-1118 since it was much slower than the carboy from the beginning and slowly came to a crawl after a week. Without thinking it out, and being somewhat drunk I added one packet of Red Star Pasteur Blanc... To begin with after about 30 minutes it started to take off for about an hour and then died and has stayed that way ever since. Its been about 24hrs now with nothing...

So did I kill the yeast? Since they are both Champagne yeasts and are both yeast killers I am assuming I did. So is there anything I can do with this like just leaving it with a low ABV and aging it in a separate fermenting bucket (I have no idea what the SG was)? Or is it just better to toss it and start over? Or am I too hasty and should I wait it out? I'm all new to this, although I have abit of distilling background I'm totally new to wine and ciders...

Thanks!

Thanks Yooper!

I will wait it out and let it age and try a bit in a few weeks...

I will probably find the ABV by just having a few in a month or two.

Back