I Quit Smoking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father died from esophageal cancer on Thursday, 3 days ago. I watched him expire. For many days he lay in an awful state, gasping for breath and without the ability to swallow. The pain in his chest was pretty severe and required a constant drip of morphine. Because of the area of the disease, he could not eat for the last several months of his life, nor drink for the last week, so maybe he starved to death or similar. Hard to say.

Both his parents lived into their 90's, and his aunt lived to be 103. My dad died at 73.

My dad was lifelong smoker. He was asking for a "puff" right up until his larynx stopped working.

I know we all have to die somehow, but take my word for it this is not how you want to go. Real-life horror.

So sorry for your loss.

October 19th of last year was my quit date. Made it through my next brew day without 'em, thank goodness. Was pretty apprehensive to do it without smoking.
Sorry about your dad, PP.

My father died from esophageal cancer on Thursday, 3 days ago..

very sorry about your dad, PP... my deepest condolences to you and your family

Over 2 weeks in, anyone notice some anxiety after quitting? Seems like since a few days after I quit I've experienced some anxiety

hell, yeah, anxiety. first couple weeks after quitting, I would wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to breathe. I would be trying to inhale and freaking out about it until I realized my lungs were full, I wasn't running out of air. so that would calm me down enough to figure out, hey... maybe try and exhale. which worked

My condolences PassedPawn. It's a tough thing for anyone to go through, both for your Dad & for you & your family. I wish you all the best during this difficult time.
Regards, GF.

Another side effect of quitting that isnt often mentioned is there might be a period of time (sometimes extended) where your smoker's cough actually worsens. I think its your body trying to kick years of lung butter out of your system. Don't let this become your excuse to start up agian...

I've quit a few times. Smoking always ends up with me not being able to breathe enough to inhale the smoke and exhale it out making it not all that much fun. If I had 30 days left to live I might take it up again, that is about how long it takes until smoking becomes a chore for me.

Sorry about your dad. Congrats on quitting.

hell, yeah, anxiety. first couple weeks after quitting, I would wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to breathe. I would be trying to inhale and freaking out about it until I realized my lungs were full, I wasn't running out of air. so that would calm me down enough to figure out, hey... maybe try and exhale. which worked

Another side effect of quitting that isnt often mentioned is there might be a period of time (sometimes extended) where your smoker's cough actually worsens. I think its your body trying to kick years of lung butter out of your system. Don't let this become your excuse to start up agian...

thinking that's what happened to me

I experienced a bit of that. One thing I've noticed since quitting is that I'm far more sensitive to chemical odors from things like floor wax/stripper, various cleaners & such; but especially air fresheners. I can actually TASTE them now. Other people think they smell "nice" but I feel like I'm being chemically assaulted by them.
Regards, GF.

the biggest thing for me has been the anxiety and irritablility, also so frustration forms, anyone else experience anxiety when quitting? know how long it lasts? read someplace about a month

For me the anxiety peaked at about 72 hours. It steadily declined after that and if I remember correctly dissipated in about 2 weeks. I'm a high strung guy to begin with, so harder to tell going by me.

the biggest thing for me has been the anxiety and irritablility, also so frustration forms, anyone else experience anxiety when quitting? know how long it lasts? read someplace about a month

For me the anxiety peaked at about 72 hours. It steadily declined after that and if I remember correctly dissipated in about 2 weeks. I'm a high strung guy to begin with, so harder to tell going by me.

This was my experience too. Although I'm more hostile than high strung, so i was really prone to blowing up at people. But nicorette to take the edge off meant no violence this time around. Hah. After a month or so I'd weened myself off nicorette too and that actually wasn't hard.

Been almost two years for me, the smell still gets to me regulalry and i still find myseld holding things like a cigarette (pens and whatnot) but i think I'm in the clear. Stressful days sometimes i get a craving but easily manageable.

Point is, hang in there. The first few weeks are torture, and while it never gets easy it gets easier.

My condolences PP

This was my experience too. Although I'm more hostile than high strung, so i was really prone to blowing up at people. But nicorette to take the edge off meant no violence this time around. Hah. After a month or so I'd weened myself off nicorette too and that actually wasn't hard.

Been almost two years for me, the smell still gets to me regulalry and i still find myseld holding things like a cigarette (pens and whatnot) but i think I'm in the clear. Stressful days sometimes i get a craving but easily manageable.

Point is, hang in there. The first few weeks are torture, and while it never gets easy it gets easier.

My condolences PP

Yea I'm about 12 days in, thought it was longer, stupid habit, I have had a few moments especially the last few days where I have to leave my desk and take a walk cause I've been so irritated, usually I can let a lot go,

all who I have talked to said the first month sucks and they started really feeling better at around 3 months, thanks for the support man

dreams are here, last night i dreamt i was smoking while fishing, a favorite summertime activity of mine

it was weird, 17 days

For me the physical urges went away in a month, but the dreams continue to this day, many years later. I spent a childhood fishing and smoking, so I do understand that one.

4 weeks today-

still get cravings, headaches are def still here, dont sleep great but hopefully this all will pass.
One thing i have noticed is i went for a jog the other day and i was able to go much longer and my chest didnt hurt after. that alone is motiviation.

dont smoke kids. its really stupid.

thanks all for the support its appreciated

In August it will be 14 years for me. Best decision I ever made, cold turkey, right before 9/11 no less. Haven't had a single one since. You can't expect to feel better within weeks. You burned up your lungs for a long time. That needs to heal on the inside, in addition to all of the cravings and associations.

Replace the Evil Habit with something overwhelmingly healthy and opposite on the behavior spectrum, like physical exercise. You could turn into a cyclist or runner (like me on both counts).

Most importantly, CONGRATS and good luck.

I wish I could... I tried the e-cig/vape thing and it just exacerbated the situation. I will not take prescription drugs. My habit only consists of 1 on the way home from work each day during the week. The problem is really on the weekends. On the one day a week I kick back and drink heavily, it can get out of hand. Sometimes one pack on that day. I want to be done with it.

I've been smoke free for 4 years on the 18th of this month.

Smoked a cigarette the morning after St. Patrick's day and it was the most terrible thing I had ever had.

However, I smoked for about 7 years and every time I get a whiff of one it just smells like heaven. Don't think that will ever go away.

Good for you man. I used to dip very regularly, and now I'm so glad I quit. I found something that helped at this stage was to avoid anything that led to a habitual dip afterwards. Sometimes it was as easy as changing my physical location to avoid it, other times I had to actively tell someone not to share with me.

Anyways, keep going strong, eventually it'll fade. I actually went back a few months after and had a dip, and found my tolerance was so weak that I almost threw up, which I'd never done from dipping even once.

Either way, do the math on what you've saved money wise since then and buy yourself a reward. :tank:

The 20th of March will make 5 months for me. It's still a bit of a struggle sometimes, but worth it I believe. It's nice not to be a slave to constantly thinking about my next one, and I was just that.
You can do it.

Smoked 30+ years, they were 25 cents a pack when I started, 22 years ago I laid them down & never touched another. Still don't miss them, the toughest thing I ever did was quitting. :rockin:

Quit butts and started vaping this last Dec. vaping helped me quit.

Keep it up Brian. My brother quit the sticks about a year ago and started doing the vape thing. It's weird for sure, but I love that he's doing that than the tobacco.

Keep it up. We are all here pulling for you. Please post again in a month.

Any odd dreams?

I may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but it's been something like 14 years since I quit and it has finally gotten to the point where I can smoke the occasional cigar.

Here's what I mean: After smoking cigarettes for years, and after having quit for a year or two, I went to a poker game at a buddy's place in late '01 or '02. There were cigars. The muscle memory from smoking cigarettes made it so that I couldn't NOT inhale the cigar smoke. I got sick as a dog.

Fast forward a decade or so. That muscle memory is long gone and I can enjoy a cigar.

It's a comfort smell for me. I was never exposed to much cigarette smoke until college. College was awesome. I didn't smoke, but a lot of people smoked...especially at parties. Haven't really been around smokers since.

So when I catch a whiff of someone smoking, it takes me back to the glory days of keg stands and beer pong.

It's a comfort smell for me. I was never exposed to much cigarette smoke until college. College was awesome. I didn't smoke, but a lot of people smoked...especially at parties. Haven't really been around smokers since.

So when I catch a whiff of someone smoking, it takes me back to the glory days of keg stands and beer pong.

I know the feeling. I get the comfort from the quick whiff of a fresh cigarette on a windy day. More than that and I start disliking it. To me it is much like the smell of burning leaves in the fall.

Last smoke was exactly 72 hours ago. Been smoking for 20 years. I've quit a few times before using NRT, once with chantix, but this time I'm going cold turkey. I just want to rip off the band aid this time and get it over with.

First 2 days weren't bad but holy s^*t balls today has been tough. Getting intense cravings every 2 hours or so. My poor wife has been a saint. Between this and a very stressful work week, I'm in super-a$$hole mode.

Hoping tomorrow is a little better...

Last smoke was exactly 72 hours ago. Been smoking for 20 years. I've quit a few times before using NRT, once with chantix, but this time I'm going cold turkey. I just want to rip off the band aid this time and get it over with.

First 2 days weren't bad but holy s^*t balls today has been tough. Getting intense cravings every 2 hours or so. My poor wife has been a saint. Between this and a very stressful work week, I'm in super-a$$hole mode.

Good luck. After the first 3 days it gets easier. I quit about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. I remember taking a shower around day 4 and was like what is that smell, it smells really nice. Then I realized it was my shampoo.

Hang in there. The rewards are great. Remember Yoda: "Try? Do, or fail. There is no try."

I quit about 5 years ago, tried to use gum and those fake smoke-sticks, but they are worse than going cold turkey for me.
The wife tried to quit, sadly she only managed half a year before starting again..

I can't stand cigaret smoke any more, tried smoking once or twice, but it just tastes bad now. strange as hell, i guess we all are different that way.
I do try NOT to be the holier than thou ex-smoker, I just consider myself lucky that i didn't have more trouble.

Back