I overcarbed didn't I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's my first batch, carbed it at 30psi for 2 days, released to 10psi, and I got pure foam. I drank a few last night (after they turned back into drinkable beer), then released the pressure and left it over night. Then I released the pressure a couple more times tonight before trying to pour. Still foam. My line is oversized (5/16 line on a 3/16 barb) and only about 3' long. It's just temporary until my order comes in this week, but is probably not helping. My real concern is that I have LOTS of bubbles coming out of the keg into the line while I pour, and when I close the tap, bubbles continue to rise out of the keg and form gas pockets at the tops of the curves in the line. Like I said, this is my first batch of home brew. I have had a kegerator for over 10 years and never had it foam like this. I had read that this was the quick easy way to carb on a few other sites, before joining this forum that is. I don't know what I was thinking, there apparently is no "quick, easy" way to any step of home brewing. I suppose that's why my overcarbed beer still tastes great to me.:rockin:

So just to confirm my suspicion, does it sound like I overcarbed?

sounds like a line problem to me. turn off the gas to the keg and bleed the pressure all the way down ... almost. leave just a little bit of co2 in there to push the beer. you can just charge it back up when you're done dispensing. this should work until your new lines come in.

try that and let us know.

Are you positive it's 5/16" line. If so, smack yourself in the head with a blunt object.:)

Ah, point taken. :mug: I knew oversized line would cause foaming, but didn't know it would cause this much. I've used it before in a pinch, and on longer runs, but didn't have this much foaming. It's been several years since I had to, and it was also only a temporary thing, so maybe my memory is just cloudy. :drunk: I'll go pick some up tomorrow if that's all it is. I knew it was the wrong size, but since I just ordered the whole shabang to move up to 4 taps I just used what I had. My old lines were, well, old.

Thanks for the advice

Ok, got the 3/16 line and all is well. I am actually enjoying my first perfectly poured beer from my first batch of home brew right now, and it tastes delicious!

I have a few more questions though. Like I said, I am moving up to 4 taps. I've got the freezer, fridge thermo installed, and am ready to run the lines. I picked up 30' of clear 3/16 (5/16 od) line from Lowe's for .16/ft. Is this line suitable? I ask because it was so much cheaper than the online stores at .55-.70/ft.

Second, I am planning to keep on tap a wheat, pale ale, cream ale, and irish stout. Is this line size suitable for all of these?

Third, should I install seperate co2 regulators for each keg? Or will all of these beers pour fine at 10 psi?

And finally, is there a less expensive quick disconnect that I can use for the lines? All of them I see online are $15-20 each, which seems a bit high to me for a little plastic disconnect.

Thanks

Is it sold as "beverage" tubing, if not chuck it, unless you like the taste of plastic in your beer. I only buy my tubing from micromatic, not that expensive, and never an off taste.

As far as separate regulators their a nice option. It obviously allows you to control the different carb needs of different styles. Not all of you beers will be served at 10psi. If money is an issue, I would try to do at least two independent ones and two that are the same.

Your line size is good for all beers. Line size is dependent on length, not beer style.

Can you post a link or pic of these "disconnects", I don't get it. If you're talking the cornie disconnects, they shouldn't be more than $5 or $6 apiece.

I'm looking for an inline disconnect, like these, but at a more reasonable price as I need 4 of them: http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=174088&cat=394&page=1

I have a chest freezer that sits under my bar where the taps are going to be mounted. I am planning to run the lines out the top of the freezer, but would like some quick disconnects for connecting/disconnecting easily as I will have to roll the freezer forward to get in it. Any ideas or cheaper alternatives out there?

Back