I never took an initial reading..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambone54

Reaction score
This is my first brew, and I missed a step. I never took an initial reading. I now am 3 days in with no bubbles in my airlock. So today I re pitched yeast. Is there any way to know if my brew is fully fermented? Is there a specific reading I should have when it's done?
I made a brewers best continental pilsner. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Don't know about the Brewer's Best kits, but those I've used from Midwest Supplies list the expected FG. That said, somtimes brews don't always reach the target FG.

In any case, the fermentation is generally far as it's going to go when the gravity has not changed over say three readings taken a couple days apart.

You are not reading it right. I'm not sure what you are reading there, but I'd guess you are closer to 1.046.

You'll need to let that beer ferment for at least 2 weeks. If it is a pilsner, then it should be made with lager yeast, and fermented at a low temperature (e.g., 50F) and fermented for 3 weeks.

However, I doubt that kit had lager yeast. Most of those kits come with ale yeast. If that's the case, you should see bubbles and a krausen (foam on top of wort) in 2 or 3 days. The bubbles and foam will be present for 4 or 5 days. Let it go two weeks before you bottle. You shouldn't bottle until you are sure the gravity is at the final target gravity, but I don't think you've mastered using the hydrometer yet. Good luck!

Back