I need to use up some 2 row... what to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevehn

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've got 30 lbs of 2 row that is rapidly approaching the 1 year mark. My brewery has been out of commision due to renos for almost 3 months, and I'm running out of beer!

I'm hoping some more experienced brewers can point me in the right direction. My goal is to brew a few good beers right aways so they might be ready in time for xmas. I 've only got 2 all grain brews under my belt, so any advice would be appreciated :mug:

I'd like to do something good... something that would impress a recipient. I've been running through the recommended recipe database, and I've already done the haus ale, the cream of 3 crops, and a couple of batches of graff.

I'd love to do a nice red, but I'm having some trouble finding a recipe that uses 2 row as the base grain.

I see stouts are very popular, but my only experience with stouts so far is guiness, which I equate to drinking syrup. Are all stouts this heavy?

Any other recommendations?

If you think Guinness is heavy, you'll likely not like another Stout. Guinness is a dry stout and IMO, very watery and bland. It could also just be the way it's served that makes it feel "thick" to you. Have you had other beers served on beer gas as apposed to CO2?

You could always do a simple SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) brew with ust 2 row and a single hop variety. Some of these turn out very good and, especially with 2-row, is a great way to learn about the hop profile.

Two-row can be used in about any beer.

Toss in a little crystal and you can make a nice Amber, for instance.

:mug:

Try Rolf's Irish Red, I made this 4 different times, twice with 2-row instead of Maris Otter, once as designed, and once with 2-row with some Victory subbed in to get it closer to MO, all were fantastic! if you are looking for a good red, I use this as my go-to base recipe. Personally I prefer it with just 2-row, and I use S04 instead of Notty since the latest recall.

I think I may make some of this again on Sunday!

If you like hops, here is a clone for "Gordon" from Oskar Blues. It is a bit of a cross between an American IPA and and American Amber. A little hoppy and high grav for a traditional American Amber, and a little too amber for an American IPA. The recipe calls for dry-hopping some amarillo, but you could always skip that if you are pressed for time. I've done this one twice now, and I can't seem to keep it around very long. I'm planning on brewing it another two times next year.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 12.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 83.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU