I need to get a gravity off my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnomyaR

Reaction score
How do I need to go about that? Just use my auto siphon into to a glass tall enough for the hydrometer?

Is it that obvious?

Yup, it's that easy! If it's in a bucket you could just sanitize the hydrometer and plop it in as well:)

Sent from the Commune

A lot of people use a beer thief. I prefer the kind that's a long tapered tube with a small hole on top. You sanitize it, dip it in then plug the top and draw your wort out. You can usually get enough for a sample in one good pull. You can also use a turkey baster, though its harder to clean and sanitize and it's a little more difficult to pull a sample.

I use a plastic turkey baster. Cheap, easy to use, and easy to clean. Just don't use it for basting a turkey.

Get yourself on of these. It's a very worthwhile investment. Some do drop it right into the fermenter but there are two things to keep in mind. (1) You need a fermenter with an opening that allows you to retrieve your hydro. (2) You can't degass your sample--you'd have to degass the whole batch, which you are not going to do, so your accuracy will be off.

Me too. It was $1 at the dollar store. Sanitize it, take my sample, and then measure it. Then drink the sample, of course!

Got to drink the sample! I think you get a lot of information from tasting the beer.

Great feed back guys. And I do taste everything through the whole process..... Except the yeast....

Is it that obvious?

Back