I need some feedback on a dunleweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtcass23

Reaction score
My buddy and I started home brewing not too long ago and we have always used kits so we didn't screw anything up, but now we want to try our own recipes. Here is one for a dunkelweizen that I have been working on. I really want to be able to taste banana, vanilla, and for a twist, some chocolate. I know the 3068 yeast will expose more of the banana and I put some chocolate grains in the mix. But I also want to be able to taste the vanilla. If you guys can look at the recipe and tell me if I should add some banana, vanilla, and chocolate extracts or if I should just leave it alone. Or should I prime with maybe some vanilla extract and banana rum? Also tell me if my grains, hops, and main extracts are correct. And I should add that we use a secondary fermenter so maybe I can add something during the transfer? Trying to get this thing to almost taste like a banana split.

Extracts:
3 lbs Wheat Dry Malt Extract (DME)
3.3 lbs Wheat Malt Extract (LME)
Grains:
1 lb Munich Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz American 2-Row
8 oz Special B
8 oz Honey Malt
Hops:
1 oz Mt. Hood
1 oz Tetnanger
Yeast:
Wyeast 3068
Instructions:
Steep grains for 30 minutes in 2.5 gals of 150-165 degree water
Bring water to a gentle boil and add LME and DME
Return water to a gentle boil and add Mt. Hood hops at 60 minute mark
Add Tetnanger hops at the 15 minute mark.
Chill wort, pour into primary fermenter, fill to 5 gal mark

Thanks in advance

You don't need to boil your exracts for the full hour. Add a half pound at the start of boil and the rest just before you complete the boil. This will prevent scorching, but still sanitize you malt. Boil your Mt Hood for the full hour, add half your Tetnanger with 15 min left and the rest with about 3-5 min left for best aroma. Enjoy!

Back