I need ideas!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedSquash

Reaction score
I have just been asked to be the best man at my friends wedding. As part of my duties, I have been charged with brewing the desert beer. The only qualifications are that it involves rye and raspberries.

This is the man who got me into homebrewing, and he works at RebelBrewer.com, so there will be some pretty discerning palates at the event. My first thought was a Chocolate and Rye Porter with Raspberries, but that might be too pedestrian. I don't have time (or skills) to do a tweaked Lambic.

I'm an all-grain brewer, and I have 4 months to get this ready. Does anyone have any experience with rye? Any thoughts, ideas, tips?

I've been brewing with rye somewhat frequently as of late. A porter with rasberries and dark malts will almost certainly overwhelm the flavor of the rye. If I were in your shoes I would probably do a rasberry roggenbier. Maybe 30% rye malt, 10-20% wheat, 50% 2-row, and a bit of Munich (~1 lb or so per 5 gallons) and even maybe 3-5% melanoidin. 1/2 can of this stuff http://morebeer.com/view_product/16731/102194/Raspberry (I just made a hefe (5 gallon batch) with a full can and it was WAY too much). THen hop it to 20-30 IBUs with hallertau or something similar. You could even stick your neck out a bit a make it an imperial rasberry roggen. I like the idea of the rasberry and rye, sounds like a good combo if it has to have the fruit. Good luck!

Though most likely unfamiliar to the majority of people outside of Michigan, Short's Soft Parade would really fit the bill.
http://www.shortsbrewing.com/beer/our-portfolio/annual-beers/the-soft-parade/

I am working on getting some information regarding a similar recipe to this brew. Very light and crisp beer with a subtle fruitiness while still packing a punch with a decent ABV. The rye spiciness along side the dry effervescent finish is amazing. I will post more info regarding the recipe once I find out more.

Back