I need help removing a shut-off valve from my reg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValleyBrew

Reaction score
OK, I need a little help/advice. I’m trying to reconfigure my kegging setup and I decided to buy a “Y” fitting for the output of my regulator, which is a single body regulator. I got it from NB. Here is the regulator.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/dual-gauge-regulator-w-1-4mfl-backcheck-outlet.html

I also bought another CO2 shut-off valve (with built-in check valve, the same valve that came installed on the unit). I cannot, for the life of me, remove the existing shut-off valve. I don’t know who they got to tighten that thing, but I can’t get it to budge. Part of my problem is, I can’t get any real leverage on it. I don’t own a vice. It’s got tape on the threads.

Anyway, any suggestions on what can help? I was a little hesitant to go out and buy some spray lube thinking it may cause more harm and may still not loosen the valve. I’m almost at the point of taking it to the place where I get my CO2 tank filled and ask them to remove it for me… Any thoughts/suggestions?

I did search this BTW, but nothing in there that I can do…

its a pain. get another person to help, and find the biggest wrench you can that fits on the shut off valve. lay the regulator on the edge of a sturdy workbench (so the shutoff hangs off the edge) and hold it down with both hands. get the friend to turn the wrench.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO BEND THE GAUGES.

its not fun but i have done it that way. a vice would help but there still isnt a great way to hold a regulator in a vice without minor damage.

they are just really really tight

also make sure it's not a reverse-thread. some regulators are.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check the threads tonight. (I didn't have time last night...)

At lunch I thought I would see if I could get lucky with local machine/welding shop. I dropped it off and I got a call 30 minutes later saying that it was removed and I didn't owe them anything since it took 2 minutes to do. NICE! Thanks for the help!!

Back