I need help badly!!!! Bakers or Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok now all my fellow brewers,

I need help because i have a problem.....
Without further adooh,

I have started making apple cider in small batches like 2 litres ( in know its not much but i am testing it out for now) I dont have any brewers Yeast so i used bakers and im not sure if it will affect the outcome considerably or very much at all. It seems to be fermenting vigourously always looking like a freshly uncapped stubbie with all of the CO2 bubbles rising all the time. Please answer lots of people because i need lots of oppinions!
:confused: THanks

Whenever you're making a beverage you want to use brewers yeast because the baker's yeast will create sour bread flavors. These flavors are fine if you're planning on baking what you've made but not if you are going to drink it.

With that said. Don't toss the cider you've got going now. Who knows, it could taste ok due to the apple flavors.

Thanks mate!

its pretty good so far but tastes a bit yeasty.

other oppinoins would be greatly appreciated,
everybody who views this thread please contribute to this

I'm making a "cheatin' cider" with bakers' yeast. Only about a week into it but it tastes fine so far :p

Baker's yeast ferments significantly faster than brewer's yeast. It will still make alcohol and co2, but it will add a yeasty, bread-like flavor. For cider, this flavor may be over-powered by the apples and it won't be so bad. Brewer's yeast will be much slower, but better.
FWIW, you can also make bread with brewer's yeast if you don't mind waiting days for your bread to rise ;)

How will I know when it's done fermenting? It's still bubbling, but it has slowed and I'm not sure whether that's just dissolved CO2 or whether it's actually fermenting.

Just wait until you have several days of no activity... then you know you're safe. There will still be enough live yeast that if you want to carbonate it, you can prime and bottle it.

Back