I need a solid Extract suggestion stat! Something crisp and fall-ish. Thanks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
All my all grain gear is buried in the garage. Its going to take several more weekends to get to freeing it. What I have on tap right now is nearly gone so I'm in a bit of a beer crisis.
I also need to do a practice extract run anyways since we're adding a 3rd spawn in November and then i'll really be out of time to brew.

Anyone have a favorite "I'm out of time just get me something delicious on tap quick" extract recipe?

I'm probably still going to use my turkey fryer but I'm considering doing a 3 gallon boil so I can add two gallons of cold water to cut my cooling time down significantly. My end goal is a <2 hour brewday (as opposed to the 4.5 hours it usually takes me for all grain including all cleanup and such).

Smash IPA or cream ale. Then again I’m into light and crisp beers lately

I haven't brewed it but there is a Fifteen Minute Pale Ale.
I do most of my recipes with only a 40 minute boil. Choose your favorite grain recipe and convert it.
Keep us posted.

I found Who's In The Garden Grand Cru Ale in Charlie Papazian's The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing. It starts with a 1.5 gal. boil. It uses honey, coriander seed and orange peel.

Altbier.

I don't really have a recipe handy, but this seems like something that should work as a good extract with steeping grains recipe. Style guidelines say it is an ale (perhaps a hybrid ale, so it might take a little longer than a true ale, depending on the conditions) and that pilsner malt is a common ingredient.

Thanks!
Smash IPA or cream ale. Then again I’m into light and crisp beers lately

I found one similar, the EdWorts Haus Pale Ale. Seemed super easy with a simple malt/hops bill.

I haven't brewed it but there is a Fifteen Minute Pale Ale.
I do most of my recipes with only a 40 minute boil. Choose your favorite grain recipe and convert it.
Keep us posted.

I almost ordered the stuff for that 15 minute ale. I was on the fence between that one at EdWorts Haus Pale. I went with the one with 1,000,000+ views and thousands of comments. Seems like a classic solid homebrewtalk favorite. I'm going to also shorten my boil time as well. Hopefully have something fresh to drink in a couple weeks.

Also since Austin Homebrew was having a 15% off sale I also ordered a Coffee Malt Stout extract kit from them. Hopefully in 4 weeks I'll have a Pale and a Stout on Tap which should bring just about up to baby time. After which my free time is gone for at least the first few weeks. But we'll have beer, so it will all be okay.

@knotquiteawake Sorry, I was pressed for time when I made my original reply. Both of those would be a 30min boil. I recently made the NB extract cream ale kit after switching around the hops. 30 min boil and it turned out great. Probably could have shortened it to 15 min.

Lately with extract, my boils never go above 45 min...and are usually 15-30. Next time I do the cream ale I’ll make my own recipe and only do 15 min. I figure the malt has already been boiled enough. Good luck! That stout sounds like its worth looking into.

An extract beer that I really liked was Northern Brewer's Patersbier. It does require a Trappist Ale yeast though. They have the recipes in the instructions tab.

I would say RDWAHAHB but your pipeline is dry! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY PEOPLE!

I suggest a hefeweizen since they ferment quickly and can be ready to keg in 2 weeks. Me personally, I'd just wander in to my LHBS and ask if they can suggest a kit, since you're pressed for time. Everything in one box, and ask them to recommend a fast yeast. If you're into Belgians, I've had luck pitching both 3711&3724 together, IME it can take a 1.070 wort down to 1.008 in 48-72 hours at room temp. Tasty Belgian esters, too.

My go to is Shut the F$%k Up Ale by boomchugalug
It's an amber ale but like 6 % ABV so it warms me nicely in the fall!
6 1/2 lbs. Light Malt Extract Syrup
1 lb Brown Sugar
1 oz Magnum Hops (Bittering, 60 Minutes)
¼ oz Cascade Hops (Flavor, 20 Minutes)
¼ oz Willamette Hops (Flavor, 20 Minutes)
¾ oz Cascade Hops - Aroma, After-the-Boil Steep, 10 Minutes
¾ oz Willamette Hops - Aroma, After-the-Boil Steep, 10 Minutes
60 minute boil
use American Ale yeast. I just use the dried Safale 05

My go to is Shut the F$%k Up Ale by boomchugalug
It's an amber ale but like 6 % ABV so it warms me nicely in the fall!
6 1/2 lbs. Light Malt Extract Syrup
1 lb Brown Sugar
1 oz Magnum Hops (Bittering, 60 Minutes)
¼ oz Cascade Hops (Flavor, 20 Minutes)
¼ oz Willamette Hops (Flavor, 20 Minutes)
¾ oz Cascade Hops - Aroma, After-the-Boil Steep, 10 Minutes
¾ oz Willamette Hops - Aroma, After-the-Boil Steep, 10 Minutes
60 minute boil
use American Ale yeast. I just use the dried Safale 05

I like the sound of this one. I think After these two brews I'm going to put that one into the pipeline for after the baby's born.

My 'baby' was born 20 years ago and I've still got things in the pipeline I said I was gonna do 'after the baby was born'. LOL But making beer was something I never skipped. Made many a batch with my kiddos
Congrats!

My 'baby' was born 20 years ago and I've still got things in the pipeline I said I was gonna do 'after the baby was born'. LOL But making beer was something I never skipped. Made many a batch with my kiddos
Congrats!
I can't say the same. I brewed my first two batches in 1998. Our three kids were born in 99, 01, and 04. I started brewing again in 2016 and have been going strong ever since. My "babies" are now able to enjoy the fruits of my labor! AG is on my bucket list for retirement! LOL

I can't say the same. I brewed my first two batches in 1998. Our three kids were born in 99, 01, and 04. I started brewing again in 2016 and have been going strong ever since. My "babies" are now able to enjoy the fruits of my labor! AG is on my bucket list for retirement! LOL

Same age spread as my kids are going to have. Two years between the first two and 4 years between the youngest two. I managed to break out into all grain this year. Even got 4-5 batches down. But now its going to have to be on pause a little bit longer. It definitely wasn't as hard or time consuming as i thought it would be. Its certainly no more complicated or time consuming than doing partial mash batches. But for me extract is a 2 hour job and all grain is a 4.5 hour job.

My most brewed beer is Biermunchers Centennial blonde. Lately I’ve modified it for a 30 minute mash and 30 minute boil but am going to try it as an extract batch next I think. 30 minute boil and move the centennial hops to 30 minutes! Delicious easy drinking crowd pleaser. Brewed a batch for a buddies wedding party next weekend. All grain 3 hours start to finish, extract should shave even more time off that. Cheers!

Back