I need a Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmarkw

Reaction score
Hey all. I would like to brew this holiday weekend but since I don’t have a LHBS near me and Austin Homebrew will not deliverer by Friday I was hoping you all could help me formulate a 1 gallon all grain recipe batch with the ingredients I have on hand.

I have a little less than a 1lb of each of these 3:

Crystal 10
Crystal 60
Chocolate Malt

I also have a lot of hops (Styrian, Cascade, Hallertau, Fuggle & Saaz)
Also have some Belgin candy.

I know I need base malt like a 2 row or something but can I grab 2lbs of flaked oats and mix in the above? Any ideas? I'm up for whatever.

Thanks for your help!

It would be worth the wait to get some malt extract or base malt.
If your that desperate sometimes you can find barley malt sweetner at a whole foods store,its more pricey and i never used that though,thought about trying it once.
I dont think there is any if enough diastatic power for oats to convert starch to sugar. If you try sugar its probably going to turn out awful or at least not taste like beer really.
Maybe a nearby brewery or brewpub would sell you some.

Yeah without basemalt to convert the crystal and chocolate you aren't going to get anything decent out of it.

If you really are desperate to get your brewing jones on, you could look at your grocery store or health food store for some malt extract used in Baking...it's the same stuff as we use.

586912b.jpg

Back