I need a little help with this one! PLEASE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Reaction score
This is a recipe that im thinking of, but open to suggestions on changes.

75% eff
5.5 gal

7lb pale malt 60.9%
2lb rye malt 17.4%
1.5lb smoked cherry wood malt 13%
1lb 60L 8.7%

O.G. would be 1.054
F.G. Est 1.013
SRM 10.2

mash 154 for 60 min
Boil 60 min
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 or 1450 Danny's Favorite 50

ok, this is exactly what im trying to do... when i think of rye i think mainly of whiskey/ bourbon... ( i don't want to add any of that to this) so i figure rye and smoke malt would complement each other fairly well, i would love to strictly stick with American everything this is why im going cherry malt instead of peat.

I dont want to over power the pale with smoke but i want the flavor to be there, im not sure if 1.5lb is too much or too little

Plus im not to experienced with smoke malt, im trying to think of hops that could complement smoked malt and rye vary well (im thinking Chinook through and through, but i really have no idea) putting the IBU's on the higher end of 50ish to 60ish (which would put it in the IPA range)

im on the boarder of making this an ryeIPA or an ryeAPA

any suggestions or help would be appreciated...

I am doing a rouge smoked ale That is very similar to this....instead of rye I'm using Munich
I'm using perle and saaz hops
I like the idea of the rye in your recipe and may give it a try

haven't used smoked malts (where did you get the cherry wood smoked malt? sounds awesome) and i love the idea for the brew...

i'd likely move a half pound of each of the others to the pale 2-row... i think it'll come through just the same, just give you a more balanced brew... i'd hop burst with a bright (citrusy) hop... but i like conflict in my beers.

but then again, balanced is easy, doing something different is how we learn. rock on brother and post back how it turns out.

rebel brewing has smoked cherry wood, which is briess i believe.. im still deciding on what im doing for this brew.. its not for a month away but i would like to see what peoples opinions are...

right now in beer smith.. i have:

1 oz chinook @ 60
.5 oz chinook @ 30
.5 oz chinook @ 5

not sure if i should add more or less (ibu is 57)

Back