I May Have Bottled Too Soon - Any Recourse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nut4wine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a brown porter a while back and the bottles will gush out completely when opened. I've read the threads on this behavior, so I'm not jumping to conclusions about infections, etc. but I'm wondering what to expect going forward.

Looking at my notes, it spent 2 1/2 weeks in a primary (no secondary) and then we bottled using 5 oz. of priming sugar in a cup of water. We're pretty careful about cleaning and sanitizing. It's now been in the bottle about 2 months and still gushes, even after spending days in the refrigerator before opening. I'm starting to think that fermentation might not have been done when I bottled. If so, is there anything to do for this? Would the beer be expected to settle down eventually?

Was 5 oz the calculated priming sugar amount, or just the packet. You may have just overprimed. Also, what were hydro readings?

Was it an extract batch? If so, it was probably done at 1.018 and you may have picked up a gusher infection along the way.

Even at a full 5 ounces of priming sugar in a 5 gallon batch you are only looking at like 2.6ish volumes of CO2. I wouldn't think that would be enough to gush on you.

it's also possible that you priming sugar wasn't completely mixed, had that happened to be before on an oatmeal stout. Some were fine others gushed. I just gave up and moved to kegging:drunk:

Back