I may have accidentally outgrown my MLT, PLZ help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingless04

Reaction score
I am currently using a 10 gal bevergage cooler as my MLT.

While visiting my LHBS to pick up random supplies i decided all of a sudden i wanted to brew something big. I hadn't come prepared, so i just chose their Imperial Stout recipe. The recipe uses 23.75 lb of grain for a 5 gal batch. With a water/grain ratio of 1.25 I'll need to mash with nearly 7.5 gallons.

Can anyone see this fitting in a 10 gal beverage cooler?

Ordering a 15 gal mash tun is not completely out of the question, but i don't want order if it's not necessary.

Or just mash with as much water as you can fit with the grain in there. You can always add the balance to the sparge, even if you need to sparge more than once...

Wow, ok thanks for the info. I'll be ordering a 15 gal stainless MT from homebrewstuff today. Hopefully it gets here by next weekend. If not then i may mash thicker and use more sparge water. The recipe says to try and collect around 9 gallons and boil down. It's gonna be a long brew day!

Back