I made this!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsmith1625

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing on and off for several years now testing different methods and equipment with decent success. But around 2 years ago I switched to BIAB and really locked in my equipment and process to the point that I don't need to tinker with it anymore. Brew day is stress free and predictable. I love it. But after all these years of brewing, when I pour a pint from my kegerator I'm still amazed that I made such good beer. I share that thought with my wife and she reminds me that I've been brewing for years now, but I'm still amazed. My beers are typically as good or better than what I get from the liquor store. Am I the only one who feels this way after years of brewing or is this normal for most seasoned brewers?

Last edited:
I've been brewing on and off for several years now testing different methods and equipment with decent success. But around 2 years ago I switched to BIAB and really locked in my equipment and process to the point that I don't need to tinker with it anymore. Brew day is stress free and predictable. I love it. But after all these years of brewing, when I pour a pint from my kegerator I'm still amazed that I made such good beer. I share that thought with my wife and she reminds me that I've been brewing for years now, but I'm still amazed. My beers are typically as good of better than what I get from the liquor store. Am I the only one who feels this way after years of brewing or is this normal for most seasoned brewers?
I feel that every time I pull a pint, though it was a long road for me to get here. In my first couple of years I suffered through a lot of mediocre homebrew. Feels good when friends ask when I'll be brewing this or that recipe again that they really liked. Even more fun hearing from a friend that someone they brought over one time still talks about that beer I served them two years ago.

My early years doing extract kits with no temperature control were definitely hit or miss, but mostly miss with some that were okay. This caused disappointment and breaks in brewing but I never gave up. I knew I wanted to go all grain but the cost of equipment was very restrictive. I stuck to extract, incorporated temperature control and better technique and improved my extract game. Still searching to go all grain, I switched to BIAB and found my sweet spot. The only possible upgrade I see in my future is switching from propane to electric, but for now I enjoy brewing in the garage on my propane burner.

Same here. There's nothing quite like pulling a pint, or a taster, from my own kegerator, of something I created the recipe for and brewed on my own equipment; no kit, nothing fancy, just grain, water, yeast, and hops. And elbow grease! After a successful brewday I'm usually tired as all get out, covered in grain bits from shaking out the mash bag, with sticky hands and feet, hair standing on end; but sitting down to gloat with a pint of my own makes it all well worth it.

I finally felt that about mine after I got into water chemistry. Once I learned that and started to brew with RO Water and build water profiles, I immediately went and re-brewed all my favorite recipes to see how much they would improve and improve greatly they did. It's to the point where when I have people over and they're pouring pints, they're amazed that it was made at home. So now, I feel like water has greatly improved my brewing, it's time to tighten up and focus on other parts of my process. I just got a pressure capable fermenter so I can't wait to see how keeping O2 at a minimum is really going to change my beers (been using a carboy and auto siphon for years) from what they have been.

Cheers to that! The feeling of pouring your own beer never gets old. Neither does seeing other people's reactions or hearing their opinion of your beer. I always like giving beer to self proclaimed beer snobs and hearing what they have to say. Sharing in the brew club is always fun too because you get feed back from people who know the process so they know what to look for and what questions to ask and whatnot.
I'm at the point now where I don't really have a 'to brew' list anymore. I usually just buy a bunch of grains, hops, and yeasts then figure out what I can brew with what I have. My process has been the same for years so I know what to expect and often throw stuff together based on the season. Everyone always looks forward to coming over to see what's on tap or what's in the cellar and that feels pretty good. Everyone loves good, fresh, free beer!

I've been at it for 5 years or so, and while I've always been able to comfortably say my results have been "drinkable" the ones that I was particularly proud of were few and far between. But focusing on process and consistency has increased that rate significantly, to the point where I told my wife after tasting my last beer when I kegged it that "I'm beginning to think I might actually be getting good at this hobby!"

I do still get a little shiver of anticipation and amazement when my patience and care are rewarded at the end of the process!

The first couple of years of brewing I was not making the best beers either. If they were drinkable I was happy. On occasion I would make a decent batch, but nothing to brag about. Then I built a fermentation chamber with foam board, PC fans, and ice bottles. It gave my beer a little lift but there was still room for improvement. Once I ditched the chamber and started using a mini fridge with an external temperature controller things got much better.

I definitely feel this way every time I pull a pint. I started with a Mr. Beer kit and quickly moved to 5 gallon buckets and extract kits. I still brew with extract kits due to the cost of equipment for all grain brewing, but I am planning for that. I can honestly say that I have never brewed a bad beer. Some were decent, and others were amazing! I stepped up my game with the use of the tilt hydrometer and can easily check the SG without having to pull a sample. Next step up was kegging. I HATED bottling. Bottle day was always the worst for me. Now with a keg system the whole brewing process is much better. Plus there is nothing like going to the keezer and pulling a draft instead of a bottle!

Pouring a beer you made off your kegerator is one of the coolest things. It's so cool, in fact, that my doctor told me 3 weeks ago after my blood test came back that I need to take a break and cut back on beer. 😂

I definitely feel this way every time I pull a pint. I started with a Mr. Beer kit and quickly moved to 5 gallon buckets and extract kits. I still brew with extract kits due to the cost of equipment for all grain brewing, but I am planning for that. I can honestly say that I have never brewed a bad beer. Some were decent, and others were amazing! I stepped up my game with the use of the tilt hydrometer and can easily check the SG without having to pull a sample. Next step up was kegging. I HATED bottling. Bottle day was always the worst for me. Now with a keg system the whole brewing process is much better. Plus there is nothing like going to the keezer and pulling a draft instead of a bottle!

All grain doesn't have to be expensive. If you're brewing on the stove top you can brew smaller BIAB all grain batches with all your existing equipment, you'll just need a BIAB bag for mashing. My beer quality and interest in the whole brewing process multiplied significantly when I made the jump to all-grain. My setup is still the single-vessel BIAB system I originally built for only around $200 because it works well, but you could easily make the switch for just the cost of a bag. A $20 Corona-style mill works just fine for BIAB brewing, it's all I've ever used.

5 years at in in September for me .... if I don't include the beer I brewed at university in 89..... that was interesting .... it worked as there was no alcohol sales on sunday in Nova Scotia back then!!!
Nothing like pulling a pint for sure . I built a 4 tap keezer and brew all grain in attached garage with hellfire propane burner.
My beer improved bigtime the past 18 months for 2 reasons. Homework on my water additions and closed transfers. Wish I had room for a fermenting chamber but my 2 story 2800 sq foot house in filled with mama, me and my 2 boys. I use spare bedroom in basement for fermenting but my oldest son turns 18 next week and WANTS that room.... I have a dilemma.
My friends love the beer and the price!!!!!! Great hobby!

My doc told me to cut back... that was 2 years ago, I lost 20 lbs so i figured i was good to go. Yeah pouring my beer off my 4 tap keezer is very rewarding. I have about 10 years of solid brewing and some of my biggest critics early on now always ask me what I have on tap. Those are my favorite to impress.

Sounds like time for a second opinion.
I wish. The numbers don't lie though. Slightly elevated enzymes is all it was. Nothing serious. But a break is in order and then more moderate habits going forward. No big deal.

Don't need my doc to tell me the news !!! I broke my ankle bad 18 months ago and went from 225 and exercising a lot, as I like my beers, to 235 in 8 months . Could not do much cardio for a good 8 months as my fracture was bad and included torn ligaments and tendons and these take a long time to heal. Bought a rowing machine as this was all I was able to use but although a great workout it is not a cardio king!!!
Actually just had cortisone injections yesterday as another resort. Will celebrate with some beers later!!!!!!!

I've been brewing for years as well, but my beers really got good when I focused on making three or four recipes again and again until they were just right. Now I rotate through a light American lager, a Japanese lager, an IPA and a Porter for my wife and people really love my beers.

I've been brewing for years as well, but my beers really got good when I focused on making three or four recipes again and again until they were just right. Now I rotate through a light American lager, a Japanese lager, an IPA and a Porter for my wife and people really love my beers.
I wish I could do this, but I get bored of the same beers around and need more variety. But maybe now that I'm cutting back I'll want to go more this route. Especially if I find a couple really good low abv (cold mash) recipes that work for me.

I’ve been very happy with my ales since making the jump to all grain several years ago but I had that “I made this!” epiphany moment with the first lager, a Märzen, that I made after building my temperature controlled fermentation chamber. It shot me straight back to the gasthauses we’d visit when I lived in Germany..!

I love when people ask when I will be making a particular brew again. It's very gratifying to know that it isn't just my opinion that a particular beer is good. Sadly, there aren't enough brew days, though, compared with how many days/weeks it takes to polish off a 5G keg (especially when we aren't having guests over regularly). As much as I like drinking my beer, I much prefer making and sharing it.

I love when people ask when I will be making a particular brew again. It's very gratifying to know that it isn't just my opinion that a particular beer is good. Sadly, there aren't enough brew days, though, compared with how many days/weeks it takes to polish off a 5G keg (especially when we aren't having guests over regularly). As much as I like drinking my beer, I much prefer making and sharing it.
I am with you there. I don't get the requests for beer like you do though, unfortunately. Heck, I offered to give my dad a growler of helles the other day, he didn't want it! I couldn't believe it. Last time I offer to give him beer. Makes me very sad.
Friends will give me high praise, but no one ever asks if I'm going to make a certain beer again. Maybe it's because I don't brew the same core beers often enough. I should probably stop grabassing if I'm going to open a brewery someday 😂

I've been brewing on and off for several years now testing different methods and equipment with decent success. But around 2 years ago I switched to BIAB and really locked in my equipment and process to the point that I don't need to tinker with it anymore. Brew day is stress free and predictable. I love it. But after all these years of brewing, when I pour a pint from my kegerator I'm still amazed that I made such good beer. I share that thought with my wife and she reminds me that I've been brewing for years now, but I'm still amazed. My beers are typically as good or better than what I get from the liquor store. Am I the only one who feels this way after years of brewing or is this normal for most seasoned brewers?
Every. Single. Time. I. Make. Good. Beer. (which does not happen every time I brew....)

:D

Last edited:
Back