I. MADE. BEER.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After one week in primary, two weeks in secondary, and two weeks in the bottle, I cracked open my first homebrew last night. It's a malty amber, and it was tasty, but still a bit green. I'm going to let the rest bottle condition for another week before putting them in the fridge.

41wkld.jpg

Woo hoo! I hear people talk about a "green" flavor in fresh beer all the time. How would you describe it? I'm honestly not sure if I've ever experienced it.

Woo hoo! I hear people talk about a "green" flavor in fresh beer all the time. How would you describe it? I'm honestly not sure if I've ever experienced it.
The best way I would describe it is that it tasted a little "bright." I'm not 100% sure, but I was assuming that's what folks mean when they're talking about "green" beer. I'm hoping another week or so in the bottle will mellow it out a little bit.

Any more experienced brewers want to correct me?

It's a malty amber, and it was tasty, but still a bit green. I'm going to let the rest bottle condition for another week before putting them in the fridge.

Just put the bottles you want for drinking in the next week in the fridge and leave the rest warm for another week before chilling them. See if you can notice a difference in them.

Congratulations! It's a great feeling. Now get working on filling up your fermenter again!

Now you will discover one of the problems with fresh beer ...... it disappears quickly, and that last beer always tastes the best and you curse yourself for drinking them so quick.

Welcome to the party!
Beer is good.

I save the last 2 bottles of each brew to put in my "cellar" which means under my kitchen counter next to a box of milk glass vases my wife has in a box.

The best way I can think of describe green tasting beer is...

Y'know, that taste when it's only been in the bottle for a week or less, that seems to go away somewhere between the 1-2 week mark?

After one week in primary, two weeks in secondary, and two weeks in the bottle, I cracked open my first homebrew last night. It's a malty amber, and it was tasty, but still a bit green. I'm going to let the rest bottle condition for another week before putting them in the fridge.

View attachment 680982

HAha.... I remember my first like that.
I don't make/drink beer for the buzz... but I also remember being very excited when I got my first buzz on my own beer. It was the first 100% indication I truly made beer.

How long do you keep them in your "cellar"?
It's gonna depend on the beer store. Anything heavily hopped will be less than 2 months, but that gives a nice time for hops to mellow out. Darker or less hoppy beers will be as long as I can stop myself.
I wouldn't mind testing a year or 2.
Some people buy beers just to age them. It's a weird craft beer thing I never understood... Until now.

It's gonna depend on the beer store. Anything heavily hopped will be less than 2 months, but that gives a nice time for hops to mellow out. Darker or less hoppy beers will be as long as I can stop myself.
I wouldn't mind testing a year or 2.
Some people buy beers just to age them. It's a weird craft beer thing I never understood... Until now.
Do you stick a note on your calendar, or do you just dip in there whenever the fancy strikes?

I'm intrigued by this idea, but I think I'll need to take the FIRST two bottles and set them aside, or the last two will be gone before I realize it!

I'm still new to Brewing. So my first Brew is only about 2 months into aging. I'm on my sixth batch in primary now and am looking at barleywines and pastry stouts for agings while I chug my hoppy ales.

I'm just keeping 2 bottles of any beer I brew, writing a bottling date on them and checking back occasionally to make sure nothing has exploded.

Now you will discover one of the problems with fresh beer ...... it disappears quickly, and that last beer always tastes the best and you curse yourself for drinking them so quick.
Hence why i've upgraded to 13 gallon fermentors. I can fit two of them in the same space as two 6.5 gallon buckets.
now I can have 20 gallons going at a time.
I have 12 kegs, may need more.....

If someone told me where i'd be now when i first started i'd think they were cray cray. :)

Congrats and welcome to the club! I recall my first batch and excited with how I could actually brew my own beer. I'm only on batch #28 (a Zombie Dust clone) and brewed many different varieties of ales since the beginning. Some I would have put against any breweries best, and a few I had to toss in deep sadness. You will hopefully find yourself tweaking your brewing process improving it each time (as I do). Regardless, enjoy the labors of being a "home brewer".

Back