I made a mutt. What is this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdongsr94

Reaction score
So I have been harvesting yeast and reusing. I had multiple batches going and then collected the yeast. Somehow a sharpie is beyond me and I did not label my yeast jars. Now I made a pale ale and upon tasting it seems I used American wheat yeast. I have not kegged yet and it's currently crashing. Given the mix up I opted to not dry hop. Can someone tell me is this kind of a style? It tastes alright actually. I did brew with my pale balanced water profile so it's not overly hoppy despite the ibu calc.

6gal batch. Mash at 150.
6lbs 2row
4lbs marris
1lbs crystal 20
1oz Warrior 60min
1oz Amarillo 10min
1oz Amarillo hop stand at 170 for 20min

Wye 1010 properly pitched, fermented at 64.

38 IBU, 5.1 %ABV, 5.7L
I haven't tasted this much but the mixup brings me down and I would feel better if this was close to a style.

Despite the yeast strain, I'd still call that a pale ale. Maybe a variety of bitter, if you consider there to be not enough hop aroma for a pale ale.

Or, you can just choose to say "screw style" and if it's good, enjoy it for what it is. :)

The answer is simple, are you brewing for taste or style? If you like the beer drink it. If not, have a party to kill the keg or serve as a specialty ale to those who don't care or know about style.

Here's a hint for unlabeled yeast jars. Pour off and taste a little of the beer on top of the yeast layer, it's an indication what beer the yeast came from, you may remember.

Added:
Many commercial beers are "mutt beers" too in that respect. Ever had Flying Dog's Raging *****? It's a Belgian IPA, and allegedly they use a Belgian Witbier Strain (WY3944) in an otherwise straight forward IPA. It's a wonderful yummy beer!

Maybe do a little dry hopping with Amarillo.

Last edited:
I totally agree with the just drink it mentality, that's not an issue for me. I listen to some JZ, the brewer not the rapper, and he is just too anal of styles. That's not why I'm asking but just wondering if it fit a style a bit. I know they do Belgian IPA, I like raging ***** alright, so it's kinda a Belgian pale or an ESB but main issue is the American wheat yeast. I didn't think it was mixed up at the time but to taste the jar would have been the way to go.

I make beers from leftover ingredients like that once in a while. Call it "Leftoverture."

Kansas_-_Leftoverture.jpg

What do you find offensive in the American Wheat yeast, or what it brought to the beer you don't like? Too estery? A little dry hopping may help to complement or mask it.

I'm sure you'll master the art of Sharpie in no time. :mug:

Back