I made a keg uh oh...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirstydeerbrew

Reaction score
Ok so, I'm sure that there is a post relating to this but i wanted to give my exact situation.

I kegged my American IPA yesterday and left around 25 psi (after purging) overnight in my kegerator. Today i got antsy and cranked it to 30 and shook the hell out of it for 2 and a half minutes. I poured my first beer and i think the line got temporarily clogged then all that came out was a heaping glass of foam. so much foam. foam for day. I attempted another pint and yet again, foam city.

What have i done? Can i fix this ?

Right now i dropped the pressure to around 6 psi and have it sitting in my kegerator. What should be my next course of action?

PURGE, shake, wait, PURGE, shake, wait, PURGE, shake, wait. You get the idea.

That first overnight at 25psi was fine but today was a bad idea. It's recoverable but you have to get that CO2 out of that beer.

In the future, if you feel the need to shake the hell out of it, do it at serving pressure.

Your beer is overcarbed and is trying to equalize itself, even though you set it to serving pressure on the regulator the actual pressure is probably much higher inside the keg. The only thing that will fix this is time. Set your regulator to the number of volumes you need for the temp of your fridge. Then turn the valve off and purge your keg. Then turn your valve back on. Do this every few hours, 2-3 Times a day for 2-3 days. It will eventually come down to the right pressure. If it's still total foam you may want to look at the length of your line, it may be to short.

My line is super short I need a longer one, but awesome that is exactly what I did. So I will continue to do that. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unfortunately this will kill the hop aroma for your beer....but the only way around that is to keg hop after you get the carbonation right.

Dry dropping a couple oz of hops on a nylon bag down in the keg. In just a day or two it'll make a noticeable improvement and can just ride it out in the keg.

You can (that's what I do). Some people sanitizer marbles amd add them with the hops to get them to sink. Others tie floss (sanitized of course) to the bag and around one if the posts. I have never had any trouble just dropping it in.

You can (that's what I do). Some people sanitizer marbles amd add them with the hops to get them to sink. Others tie floss (sanitized of course) to the bag and around one if the posts. I have never had any trouble just dropping it in.

Awesome man thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back