I made a bad batch. Time to experiment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingTravisty

Reaction score
Ok, so some of you guys may have seen my thread about overshooting my ABV on my blonde... By a ton haha well I tasted it the other day and it's not terrible but not something I would want to drink. It's fairly dry, with very little flavor but not too bad of an alcohol burn. Basically drinkable but not something I would probably like to drink, unless I just wanted to get wasted.

Soooo... I'm going to experiment a bit with adding fruits and spices to secondary and see what I come up with. I'm basically blending the blonde style with more fall type flavors, Apple, cranberry, orange and cinnamon and clove. If it turns out decent, then I'm going to name it the Indian Summer Ale.

Basically, the blonde was shooting for about 8%abv as kind of a blonde strong ale. I overshot and hit 12%. I figure I'll age it in secondary until mid December at cellar temps and see how it turns out. Anyone have any other suggestions? This batch has gone full experimental lol

Try diluting it with water before carbonating.

If you decide to use cloves, a little goes a loooooong way. It's easy to ruin a batch with a (seemingly) small amount of cloves. (I ruined an imperial spiced pumpkin ale with cloves last year (about 1/2 tsp total). I'm hoping the flavor has faded with age . . . should re-tap the keg to try it again soon.) 1/8 tsp or less per 5 gallons would be a good place to start.

Try diluting it with water before carbonating.

It's not really the alcohol that makes it. It's not even bad per say, just fairly dry and not much flavor to it. I don't wanna dilute the flavor any more lol the alcohol is actually fine, like a pleasant warmth in the belly.

If you decide to use cloves, a little goes a loooooong way. It's easy to ruin a batch with a (seemingly) small amount of cloves. (I ruined an imperial spiced pumpkin ale with cloves last year (about 1/2 tsp total). I'm hoping the flavor has faded with age . . . should re-tap the keg to try it again soon.) 1/8 tsp or less per 5 gallons would be a good place to start.

I hope I didn't add too much lol I didn't measure by teaspoon, I just added about 4-5 whole cloves. Should I attempt to fish some out? Lol

Ok awesome. Great to know! Now, if the fruit is frozen that sterilizes it right?

No, just makes everything inactive. You may have just started a sour if it wasn't properly washed. Not sure how much will be left for sugars other than what's in the fruit, if it's already super dry/ high abv.

No, just makes everything inactive. You may have just started a sour if it wasn't properly washed. Not sure how much will be left for sugars other than what's in the fruit, if it's already super dry/ high abv.

Oh ok, well... If it's a sour then oh well... It turned into an experiment anyways lol it'll be a learning experience

Oh ok, well... If it's a sour then oh well... It turned into an experiment anyways lol it'll be a learning experience

Who knows until it finishes out, and you taste it though. :mug: Good luck with experiment and let us know how it turns out.

Soak fruit in vodka to reduce the chance for infection for the future.

Edit: how long ago did you add the fruit and was the Krausen that high before.

How do you screw up a beer and get 12%?? I can't seem to break through the 6% barrier...

Use more malt haha.

Who knows until it finishes out, and you taste it though. :mug: Good luck with experiment and let us know how it turns out.

Soak fruit in vodka to reduce the chance for infection for the future.

Edit: how long ago did you add the fruit and was the Krausen that high before.

Use more malt haha.

I added the fruit and juice yesterday, when I transfered to secondary. And no krausen when I added. And I'll remember to use vodka next time lol I'll keep y'all updated

I actually thought about doing that. I might, just for S&G's lol

If you add oak cubes soak them in some whiskey. Another way to minimize infection risks. Also adds a touch of flavor depending on how much you use.

I added the fruit and juice yesterday, when I transfered to secondary. And no krausen when I added. And I'll remember to use vodka next time lol I'll keep y'all updated

What yeast did you use originally? Did it look similar?

If you add oak cubes soak them in some whiskey. Another way to minimize infection risks. Also adds a touch of flavor depending on how much you use.

What yeast did you use originally? Did it look similar?

I'll definitely remember that, thanks! What if I used an oak cask? Should I put whiskey in it first?

And I used us-05, and I don't really know what the krausen looked like as it was in a bucket and I didn't open it. I've never had a krausen this white though on previous brews.

12%?? This could turn out to be a very interesting beer! Please share when yu taste the finished product.

12%?? This could turn out to be a very interesting beer! Please share when yu taste the finished product.

I definitely Will! I'm going to let it age for at least a month before I touch it lol maybe put some in an oak cask to age longer

Latest posts

Back