I Love This Time of Year!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
...now that I own my own house. I love walking around the yard and seeing new stuff popping out of the ground everywhere. Right now it's just getting started, but I have hop sprouts, tons of bulbs like crocuses and tulips, and a bunch of woody perennials are putting out leaves. The pu$$ywillow out back is beautiful right now.

And best of all, too early for mosquitos! Speaking of which, I'm placing my skeeter breeding traps out tonight. Gonna hit 'em early, break up their breeding cycles.

Yay spring!

EDIT: good thing the profanity filter stopped me from saying "pu$$willow". Gotta protect the children, right!? :D

It's still a little chilly low 40's here but it has been very nice no Precip and pleanty of sun. Hopefully it does not do what it did last year. Seemed like it snowed until late april and then Summer hit we got robbed of spring.You gonna take pics when everything is in full bloom?

RICLARK said:
It's still a little chilly low 40's here but it has been very nice no Precip and pleanty of sun. Hopefully it does not do what it did last year. Seemed like it snowed until late april and then Summer hit we got robbed of spring.You gonna take pics when everything is in full bloom?

Yah, methinks so. Right now it's pretty sparse, but every day brings something new. Blueberries just sprouted leaves late last week!

bigjohnmilford said:
I can't wait to get fishing.

About another month to go for that around here...

I started noticing some signs of spring the other day, some daffodils are starting to come up in the front yard.Unfortunately it also means that Canadian Geese have overrun the park I walk my dog in, so the place is covered with goose crap. And goose crap is big...:(

Amen Brother! But here global warming or some such thing is farging things up.

The past 2 years, bulbs etc. are popping up in march, trees are budding up with new growth, and last chance of frost is still like May 10th.

The past 2 years all of the early stuff has died off, only to come back weaker.

cheezydemon said:
Amen Brother! But here global warming or some such thing is farging things up.

The past 2 years, bulbs etc. are popping up in march, trees are budding up with new growth, and last chance of frost is still like May 10th.

The past 2 years all of the early stuff has died off, only to come back weaker.

I think the last few years we would get like 2 1/2 weeks of like 50 degree weather at the end of Feb and it would screw up the internal clocks of the vegetation and they would start blooming and then we would get like 5 more weeks of winter.

Right now this winter/spring transition is looking a little more normal for us. We still have 6-10 inches of snow that need to melt before I can see anything green and based on the weather report it should take most of the next week to melt. Last year things were so warm that everything was starting to bloom by late March. However last year in mid April we had 18" of snow and a week of 20F temps to kill off all of those early bloomers. Hopefully this year the seasons change a little more gracefully. The good news is its been a good year for Maple production so far.
I'll have to check my hops about April 1st to see if there is any signs of life.
Craig

I have areas of my lawn that are finally bare of snow, and others where the drifts are still up to my chest. Yet I noticed bud on the silver maples, and a robin was sighted recently, but not by me. Anyway, freezing rain is in the forecast for tonight.

Spring is not quite here either. Not far away I don't think, but not quite here. I am actually going to miss winter a little bit. The cold and the snow I am certainly ready to get rid of, but I have had some fun experimenting with yeasts that will ferment colder. During the spring/summer/fall my basement stays a steady 66-68, but over the winter, it is a steady 60, with 57-58 on the floor. Been fun using California Lager and German Ale yeasts at that temp, made some dern fine beer. Think I am probably done for the season though.

c.n.budz said:
About another month to go for that around here...

I started noticing some signs of spring the other day, some daffodils are starting to come up in the front yard.Unfortunately it also means that Canadian Geese have overrun the park I walk my dog in, so the place is covered with goose crap. And goose crap is big...:(

I hope it doesn't take that long. I've got cabin fever. I can't stand the geese either we've got em right behind our house in the park. Can't walk to the basketball court with out dodging the land mines. Forget about throwing the ball around too.

spring is good....I get sick of winter real fast...and then I get sick of summer real fast. Overall spring/fall = good

Evan! said:
...now that I own my own house. I love walking around the yard and seeing new stuff popping out of the ground everywhere. Right now it's just getting started, but I have hop sprouts, tons of bulbs like crocuses and tulips, and a bunch of woody perennials are putting out leaves. The pu$$ywillow out back is beautiful right now.

And best of all, too early for mosquitos! Speaking of which, I'm placing my skeeter breeding traps out tonight. Gonna hit 'em early, break up their breeding cycles.

Yay spring!

EDIT: good thing the profanity filter stopped me from saying "pu$$willow". Gotta protect the children, right!? :D

What kind of traps are you using? I have to do something this year, they were killer last year.

Back