Headfunk- Another Consequence of Adulthood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
*Warning. The below is kinda gross. Reader discretion is advised*

As many of you already know, I am balding, and have been since my early twenties. As a kid, I had a massive head of curly hair, think :fro:, and hated it. Twenties come around, and I get a double whammy of hair loss and psoriasis on my head. So now I have long Krusty the Klown hair on the sides, a bald top, and a constant driving itch. Darn.

So, age thirty comes around and, like so many other men, I decide to give in and take it all off. Into the barber I go, and the 1.5 clipper leaves me with almost no hair, and I can scratch my psoriasis raw without inhibition. Bonus points is that I dont have a half-badly shaped head, so the wife assaults me in the most wonderful of ways when I get through the door (to my barber Aron, thank you). Perfect solution, right?

Well, not so perfect. In the summer, my head now sweats 360 degrees. If I wear a hat, I have essentially bottled up a fraction of a liter of sweat, which will sheet down like a carwash over my eyes when I take the hat off. If I DONT wear a hat, I run the risk of burning the top of my head, which then peels. This is just on the way to and from the train, mind you, not a very far walk at all. Some of you live in houses in which it would take longer to walk from the kitchen to the bathroom.

So now I am sweaty, flaky, and peeling. Add to this the dust and soil of a New York summer, and you get quite possibly the worst thing no one has ever warned me about.

Headfunk.

Seriously, why was I never warned?!

By the time I get home I have a thin layer of schmutz on the top of my head that I could scrape off with a butter knife. Kind of a brownish, greyish lint-like paste of sorts. Ever look at the inside of someone's well-worn Berkenstock? Same thing. Another good comparison is the loamy, clay-like crap that forms at the top of a jug of JAOM. I am up to two showers a day and I'm considering a third until October.

One idea I had was to wear a bandana in a neutral, non-gang-affiliated color. No dice, SWMBO said, and I quote "I love you but you look like an idiot". So thats out. I've also tried to sponge my head with a hankerchief locally and at the time of perspiration... but its almost worse to have to walk around with a sweat-soaked rag in my pocket, essentially breeding off-site BO. No good there. And finally, carrying around an umbrella... no... I would be forced to kick my own ass.

So, my plea to the world is this... education. We warn our children at a young age to avoid germs, not pick their noses and eat it, and to bathe regularly. No one warns their children that they will eventually develop headfunk.

Please, HBT, think of the children. Think of the headfunk.

*sigh* it will pass.

Normally I suggest heat sterilization but seeing how your brain is right there too........

Just post results :D

Also, "ewwwwww...."

I've been bald for most of my 20's and 30's, and my 40's are barreling toward me.

Yeah, sweat thing does suck. But, it beats having shampoo's, conditioners, gels, and combs/brushes. Maybe try a bandana under a hat?

I shave my own head in shower with a Mach 3. After a few times doing that all that headfunk sebum buildup is scraped off. Think your psoriasis could tolerate that?

Tea tree shampoo!! Works everytime :mug:
Recently shaved my head for the first time in 10 years.. didn't think about it because the very next day I was on a sheet of ice curling.. I wore a beanie and it just would not sit right because my head was like Velcro..lol..
Edit: I usually always wear a hat now but whenever I see a paper towel it's rubbing my head when I'm hot:)

Good suggestions! (well, aside from heat sterilization... hehe). So far I've been limiting the funk by washing my head often and running to and from the train...

Now THATS a sport I could really get into (Im about as athletic as a sea cucumber).

1) It looks like billiards on a grand scale.
2) the WINNERS are obligued to buy the beer at the end (this is bloody civilized and I am all about a civilized society)
and 3) the Japanese women's team are all cute as a button.

CreamyGoodness said:
Now THATS a sport I could really get into (Im about as athletic as a sea cucumber).

1) It looks like billiards on a grand scale.
2) the WINNERS are obligued to buy the beer at the end (this is bloody civilized and I am all about a civilized society)
and 3) the Japanese women's team are all cute as a button.

lol.. it surprises allot of people how athletic it really is running on ice sweeping the ice so it causes friction to melt so the stone will carry further.. I know I swet allot and always have something to drInk.. I kind of wanna make the handle on my broom into a long flask.. maybe when I get some time :)

lol.. it surprises allot of people how athletic it really is running on ice sweeping the ice so it causes friction to melt so the stone will carry further.. I know I swet allot and always have something to drInk.. I kind of wanna make the handle on my broom into a long flask.. maybe when I get some time :)

I'm totally serious, it looks like a hell of a good time. Personally, years of playing drinking games have me thinking I would be best suited for pitching the stone...

I'm totally serious, it looks like a hell of a good time. Personally, years of playing drinking games have me thinking I would be best suited for pitching the stone...

If all Curlers happened to look like Cheryl Bernard it'd be my favorite sport to watch!

Eh, I thought about going ahead and shaving my thinnin' noggin' but my wife says I'd look like some kinda ogre/pervert what with all the scars I got up there.

Eh, I thought about going ahead and shaving my thinnin' noggin' but my wife says I'd look like some kinda ogre/pervert what with all the scars I got up there.
No scars... but a lot of dents. Pretty sure I won't look good bald.

Those dents might explain a few things....

Straw hat, maybe. I wore ball caps forever and went to straw this summer. Cooler and cleaner. My ball caps always started looking like hell with the sweat and dirt. Not a problem with straw.

I have hair, but do keep a crewcut or shorter in the summer.

Straw hat, maybe. I wore ball caps forever and went to straw this summer. Cooler and cleaner. My ball caps always started looking like hell with the sweat and dirt. Not a problem with straw.

I have hair, but do keep a crewcut or shorter in the summer.

Ball caps? I thought we were talking about the guys head?

Seriously, I shave my head and yes I sweat a LOT working in the garden in the summer. I take a wet rag and put it on my head then a baseball cap on top of that and it works very well. Now of course I look like a migrant worker but who cares. Keeps me cool, contains the sweat and keeps the sun off my ears and back of my neck too. I don't sweat a lot actually if I am not doing manual labor even in the sun on a hot day. As for the scum, never even heard of such a thing.

I also bought a straw hat, again I look redicilous but it allows me to go outside for a bit and fiddle in the garden without the sunburn or sunblock. But when it is not boiling hot and humid out I just use sunblock.

Back