I love the smells of brewing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite part is when I first add the hops to the boil - NICE!

I'm constantly burying my face in the boil kettle and breathing in the fantastic smells. The steam's great for my pores, too.

Thank you, and I thought there was something wrong with me!

Back when Latrobe Brewing was in its heyday, these smells filled the air in the entire city - a wonderful aroma that is sorely missed, and one I remember growing up with.

But now I have my own....

ChandlerBang said:
My fav is the mash tun. Heavenly.

Oh, yeah. Hot, wet grains, like GrapeNuts in heaven. I like the kettle too, but would rather smell the mash and my cups of hops pre-addition.

I love how after a while the whole hose smells and everywhere I go all I smell is the aroma of what I'm brewing

Hot damn, grapenuts yes I couldn't think of it but you're right!

That's awesome, I always referred to the smell of mashing as that of Malt O Meal but yeah I guess it does smell like Grape Nuts!

I work just a few blocks from Widmer Brewing here in Portland and I love the mornings when they are brewing and I step out of my car and get a good whiff of that lovely "Grape Nuts" aroma, I know it is going to be a good day when I smell it:D

Me too! I think the smells are one of my favorite things about this hobby. SWBMO hates it, thinks it smells like cat litter. I can't understand that but I guess I'll keep her anyway and brew in the garage.

My wife likes the smell of the grains steeping but she does not like the smell of hops, so she leaves once I get to that point.

I'm an airlock sniffer as well, the Irish Red kit I just brewed smelled awesome!

My best gal thinks that it smells like a pet store...more specifically, the guinea pig section of the pet store :fro:

Whenever I'm brewing I'm always calling to my wife, "Come here, you've got to smell this!" Fresh crushed grains? Oh yeah. Mashing-in, Ooooh yeah! :)

PS: Tasting the wort? Mmm-hmm. :)

My wife hates it, too, so I only brew when she is on night shift. Everyone is happy that way.

B

I've only started boiling wort, so just getting used to the smell.

The last brew I made made me feel "wooosy" afterwards, which I don't think is normal. Maybe just the steam and heat.

The last brew I made made me feel "wooosy" afterwards, which I don't think is normal. Maybe just the steam and heat.

Brewing beer made you feel wooosy? SERIOUSLY????????

<shakes head and sheds a tear for all of humanity>

My wife & I both brew,& she always loved my ales to start with. She says it kinda smells like some kinda soup. I love how it smells when doing the hop additions.

Maybe you were swooning with delight!

B

Are you using a large propane burner in a closed area? Carbon Monoxide?

Only time I may feel a bit woozy when brewing is if I pop a couple liters of my Brown Bear Strong Ale (6.7%)
I did that yesterday and had a perfect brew... hit all numbers, perfect pitch, didn't spill a drop of anything, didn't mess up sanitation etc..
Sometimes you need some hombrew to deliver on the brew...

Back